what method do you use?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

what method do you use?

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 am

me
anapanasati as taught by buddhadasa

you?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Re: what method do you use?

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:56 am

Hi JC

Vipassana Meditation as taught by SN Goenka. The principal technique is the observation of vedana (sensation), but as one continues to practice and progress, one also begins to observe the other three foundations of sati. We also practice anapana-sati (observation of touch of the breath) as a prepatory samatha technique before switching to vipassana. As part of my daily routine I always finish a session of vipassana with metta bhavana and the sharing of merits.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:12 am

i forgot to mention i finish with metta as well....

when i was at Wat Mahathat we did the mahasi method is it similar to yours?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:19 am

Well originally I practiced the method taught by Michael Kewley (Pannadipa) his method focuses on the Breath and expanded from there here is his guided course on book http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=10014
nowadays I look at the satipatthana Sutta and experiment to see what it is actually saying!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby pktun » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:21 am

I have tried MAHASI Vipassana meditation method for 42 days under guidance of CHANMYAY Sayadaw in 1975 when I was 17.

The practical method is shown and explained by CHANMYAY Sayadaw at the following google video link.

<http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4760575135374290929&q=chanmyay&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0>

The biography of MAHASI SAYADAW can be found in Wikipedia.

With best wishes,

Peter
pktun

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Ven Amathagavesi samatha-jhana and vipassana. It is an offshoot of the Mahasi sayadaw system now incorporating jhana. Subsequent developments have added seeing the five aggregates and codependant origination through it's vipassana method.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 pm

rowyourboat wrote:Ven Amathagavesi samatha-jhana and vipassana. It is an offshoot of the Mahasi sayadaw system now incorporating jhana. Subsequent developments have added seeing the five aggregates and codependant origination through it's vipassana method.

interesting.. is there any material available from this teacher?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

jcsuperstar

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:53 pm

The method as taught by Ajahn Chah and Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby thecap » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Mindfulness as taught by the Buddha.
thecap

Postby clw_uk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I use the techniques given by ajhan brahm in "mindfulness, bliss and beyond". I used to do mindfulness of breathing but found my mind was to jumpy due to my weak mindfulness and made little progress so atm ive gone back to basics so im just using a method of silently meditating on the here and now to strenghten my mindfulness.
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Greetings thecap,

thecap wrote:Mindfulness as taught by the Buddha.

Me too. I generally go straight to the Pali Canon for meditation instruction.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:35 am

I use mostly the Mahasi Sayadaw - derived technique. I've also done some retreats and one day workshops with some other teachers (Goenka, Tiradhammo, Brahm, Mahinda). I would generally recommend sticking to a particular style for a reasonably long time (measured in years, not days...), but it's been interesting to have the opportunity for a "vacation" now and then...

My main teachers have been two monks in my local Thai Wat, who originated in Bangladesh and the US. I've been very impressed by them (whenever odd things happen to me on a retreat they've seen it before and know what to do). I've had the opportunity to get to know them and apply the Buddha's criteria for choosing a teacher (MN 95 Canki Sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.095x.than.html) and feel absolutely no need to go off in search of some other teacher, though I do listen to talks by various other teachers from the Internet. I imagine that there are thousands of equally competent teachers around the world, since my Wat is not particularly special or famous...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby rowyourboat » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Jcsuperstar,

Yes, I can send you an instruction manual on the method practiced...well two instructions manuals actually- one for the samatha bit and the other for the vipassana. Please send me an email to dhammachat' at ' hotmail.com.

this offer is open to anyone who would like to have a copy.. :smile:

with metta

RYB
Last edited by rowyourboat on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby pererin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Retro

retrofuturist wrote: I generally go straight to the Pali Canon for meditation instruction.

Would you quote me the references I need to study this, please?

Thanks
pererin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 am

Greetings Pererin,

For starters...

MN 10 - Satipatthana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

MN 118 - Anapanasati Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

There are others... for example ones that focus on metta (lovingkindness), overcoming hindrances, removal of distracting thoughts, wise reflections and so on...

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:49 pm

pererin wrote:Hi Retro

retrofuturist wrote: I generally go straight to the Pali Canon for meditation instruction.

Would you quote me the references I need to study this, please?

Thanks

If you also go onto the index and look at sati and satipatthana which is just bellow.
there are whole sections of information on both as well as others
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Slartibartfast » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:59 pm

I am currently being instructed in Samantha meditation at a local group in Belfast. As tonight is only the third meeting I'll have attended I haven't really developed that far with it.

The first week I was told "Breathe in slowly and deeply, counting from 1 to 9 then breathe out slowly and gently counting from 9 to one". Always being mindful (different, I feel from focussing) on the breath. If I find my mind wandering, acknowledge the thought and gently come back to the breath. This first week I was asked to try for maybe about 5 minutes.

The second week (last week) I was instructed to do the first weeks practice, and then after about 5 minutes of longest breathing (the 1-9 in and 9-1 out) move on to longer breathing (in 1-6 and out 6-1) for another 5 minutes or so.

I will attend class the third tonight :)

I enjoy it, so far, but do find that the mind is, as described by wiser men than mem like a naughty child :).
He who formerly was wreckless and afterwards became sober
brightens this world, like the moon when freed from clouds
Slartibartfast

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:I am currently being instructed in Samantha meditation at a local group in Belfast. As tonight is only the third meeting I'll have attended I haven't really developed that far with it.

The first week I was told "Breathe in slowly and deeply, counting from 1 to 9 then breathe out slowly and gently counting from 9 to one". Always being mindful (different, I feel from focussing) on the breath. If I find my mind wandering, acknowledge the thought and gently come back to the breath. This first week I was asked to try for maybe about 5 minutes.

The second week (last week) I was instructed to do the first weeks practice, and then after about 5 minutes of longest breathing (the 1-9 in and 9-1 out) move on to longer breathing (in 1-6 and out 6-1) for another 5 minutes or so.

I will attend class the third tonight :)

I enjoy it, so far, but do find that the mind is, as described by wiser men than mem like a naughty child :).

Good work! Keep it up!

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby upekkha » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:45 am

Question for ya Ben,

When you say as one progresses, one also starts to observe the other foundations, such as citta and dhamma, (because kaya and vedana are observed together by observing sensation as I understood from Goenkaji's discourses on Satipatthana),

This is something which starts to occur naturally right?

I mean, I start by observing all vedanas on the body (kaya) therefore aware of the first 2, and naturally I become aware of dhammas manifesting themselves in citta along with the awareness of vedanas.. Isn't that so?
upekkha

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Yes, basically that's right. It is something that occurs naturally and as a result of sustained practice.
Eventually, one just develops a choice less observation of phenomena. But it takes time.
Also remember that there are only four cittas that do not co-arise with vedana, formless-realm cittas, so by observing vedana you are also observing mind.
Kind regards and welcome to Dhamma wheel!

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Next

Return to Theravada Meditation