Gender equality (split topic)

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ngawang Drolma.

Gender equality (split topic)

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Maybe ambiguity and gray area is uncomfortable. I think it's a good idea to be totally honest; if we want to talk about sexism or racism or social issues and history, let's talk about it. But we don't have to project it onto a blurb from the Buddha about an extremely specific kind of awakening. In psychology it's termed "projection" to see our inner issues that bug us in outer phenomenoa or people.

I'm not trying to start a [expletive removed by Ben], but why not just talk about the issues in our heart and leave the Buddha out of it? We can discuss gender equality without dragging the teachings/dharma through the mud.

Respectfully,
Drolma
Annapurna

Re: Gender equality (split topic)

Post by Annapurna »

I can say that it throws me off when a man thinks he is above me, just because of his gender.

I didn't get to feel such gender bias at home.

First time I noticed it was at school.

Boys got extra math and physics lessons, girls got knitting lessons instead and were told it's not necessary for them to learn math!!

That was clearly putting girls into a disadvantage at such an early state, influencing their whole future life!

Then, I was in a horseclub. (Like so many young girls)

We had a highly sensitive and timid horse. The owner was a fat choleric, who became very angry at the horse when it was afraid to walk into the transporter, since it's hoofs banged loudly on the wooden ramp.

So he ofteen couldn't get the horse in the transporter for an hour, and ended up whipping the poor creature and yelling at it, until I felt it was weeping inside in terror.

But I knew that horses will not walk over ground which sounds "hollow" and don't walk where they can't see a thing.

So I asked the man to let me take care of the horse.

He finally allowed me too.

I had straw and empty oats sacks spread over the ramp and a kid waiting inside the transporter with a lamp held up high.

I calmed down the horse, humming and whispering to it, giving it sugar, and walked right into the brightly illuminated transporter with it.

I simply can't believe that anybody like this is superior to me, and I should follow his advice.

No way.

So, I'm for this:

Whoever is better at a particular task, should do it.

Since that will vary, we need freedom and space for everybody to find out what they are good at, no matter what their gender is.

This is also liberating for men who don't fit the male role model.

:smile: :namaste:

Annabel
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

As a man mostly raised by women ive always had a strong sense of equality among the sexes. To be honest i think sexism is outdated, women have proved themselves more than enough times that they are just as capable as men, to state otherwise I feel is ridiculous. Ive never really understood how you can decided how good or not a person is at a particular task based just on their sex organs.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Hi Annabel,

Knitting lessons instead of math lesons? :jawdrop:

Do you mind if I ask what country you grew up in? That's a nice story about the horse.

Kindly,
Drolma
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Well, that was a long time ago In Bavaria, Germany. Rural area, with many farmers. Conservative and traditional. Not that they are bad people, way no!

My parents however, were educated folks from the city, so the contrast to the locals was exorbitant.

It's not like that anymore. I like being here . :smile:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

clw_uk wrote:As a man mostly raised by women ive always had a strong sense of equality among the sexes. To be honest i think sexism is outdated, women have proved themselves more than enough times that they are just as capable as men, to state otherwise I feel is ridiculous. Ive never really understood how you can decided how good or not a person is at a particular task based just on their sex organs.
:twothumbsup:
Ngawang Drolma.

Annabel wrote:Well, that was a long time ago In Bavaria, Germany. Rural area, with many farmers. Conservative and traditional. Not that they are bad people, way no!

My parents however, were educated folks from the city, so the contrast to the locals was exorbitant.

It's not like that anymore. I like being here . :smile:
I see :) Thank you. What an interesting background you have!

Were the people in this region of Germany followers of a stern religion that defined men's and women's roles tightly?

Kindly,
Drolma