Beyond Mindfulness In Plain English

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tex

Beyond Mindfulness In Plain English

Post by Tex »

[Apologies if this is old news, it's copyrighted 2009 but I don't know how new it is; it might just be new to my local Barnes and Noble. Anyway, I almost did a cartwheel down the aisle when I saw it and wanted to pass along the title to anyone else that might not have known of it yet]

So, Bhante Gunaratana has written a sequel to Mindfulness In Plain English (titled as this post is) about Jhana meditations.

:bow:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Beyond Mindfulness In Plain English

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup:

Published by Wisdom Publications (same as previous book)

http://www.wisdompubs.org/Pages/display ... n=&image=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It came out Sept. 8, 2009 so you are definitely not "late" in this great announcement.
zavk

Post by zavk »

Hmmm.... looking forward to reading it.

Thanks Tex
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thanks for the heads-up Tex!

Looks great... it's on my shopping list.

:twothumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

I have it and could not finish reading it all the way through due to all of the gramatical errors. Made it almost unreadable for me. I dont know what happened with the eiting but it is really bad. Very surpring coming from wisdom pubs who usually produces top knotch reads. I have consulted quite a few different copies and they all contain the same errors. I was extremely dissapointed as Mindfulness in plain english is one of my all time fave meditation manuals.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings BBB,
bodom_bad_boy wrote:I dont know what happened with the eiting but it is really bad.
Sorry, but that made me laugh.

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Hahah how ironic. lol
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

isnt this his second book on jhanas? or is it a repackage of the old one?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
cooran

Post by cooran »

bodom said: I have it and could not finish reading it all the way through due to all of the gramatical errors. Made it almost unreadable for me. I dont know what happened with the eiting but it is really bad. Very surpring coming from wisdom pubs who usually produces top knotch reads. I have consulted quite a few different copies and they all contain the same errors. I was extremely dissapointed as Mindfulness in plain english is one of my all time fave meditation manuals.
Hello bodom, all,

I bought this book earlier in the week on the way back from India, at a bookshop in Bangkok Airport. It is said to be "An Introductory Guide to Deeper States of Meditation". It is the Wisdom edition and is edited by John Peddicord. It has top ratings by Joseph Goldstein, Ajahn Amaro, Matthew Flickstein, Shaila Catherine, Sharon Salzberg, Noah Levine, and Guy Armstong. I have just begun to delve into it, only read a chapter or two, but do not find any problems with the editing. The book seemed to be of the same standard as Bhante Gunaratana's previous books on Mindfulness.

Could you give some page numbers and examples of what bothered you?

Has anyone else read this book?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi- In my laziness (or is it lack of time? :cry: ) I wonder if anyone could tell me what is different in it compared to the first book.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I have read about halfway through and then got a little busy and did not finish it. I will go back to it and finish it since it is not that long. So far, I find it a very good book. The first part is very similar to the Mindfulness book and then after that he delves more deeply into the subject of the jhanas.
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

bodom wrote: Very surpring coming from wisdom pubs who usually produces top knotch reads. I have consulted quite a few different copies and they all contain the same errors. I was extremely dissapointed as Mindfulness in plain english is one of my all time fave meditation manuals.

"surprising," not "surpring"

"top notch," not "top knotch"

"disappointed," not "dissapointed"

I actually thought the book was good. I didn't have trouble with grammatical errors (though I don't doubt that they are there). I also really like Shaila Catherine's Focused and Fearless, and Ajahn Brahm's Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond is pretty good too.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Nibbida wrote:
bodom wrote: Very surpring coming from wisdom pubs who usually produces top knotch reads. I have consulted quite a few different copies and they all contain the same errors. I was extremely dissapointed as Mindfulness in plain english is one of my all time fave meditation manuals.

Almost reminds me of my copy of this book. Thank you Nibbida, maybe you should contact Wisdom Pubs for an editing job.

*Cooran if i have the time I will go through my copy and give examples.

:anjali:

- BB
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

bodom wrote:
Nibbida wrote:

Almost reminds me of my copy of this book. Thank you Nibbida, maybe you should contact Wisdom Pubs for an editing job.

*Cooran if i have the time I will go through my copy and give examples.

:anjali:
Hah. I couldn't resist. :-) All in good fun.