Monk for a Month?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Monk for a Month?

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Just went to my face book account and noticed this link on the side
so done a search and found this http://monkforamonth.com/

what does everyone think of this?
I think it is a bit strange although I have heard of another temple doing the same thing.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Monk for a Month?

Postby bodom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Thats awesome. Im there man! Seriously though that would be so cool. The site looks legit. It speaks of the 4 noble truths, eightfold path and the 5, 8 and 10 precepts. I wish i had the time and opportunity to do it. I think its pretty cool and is a good way to bring buddhism to the general public. Good avertising for once!

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:29 pm

it doesn't look to different from going on retreat to me, only less strict.
the retreat I go on twice a year is one meal a day, silent, and walking and sitting meditation all day with a dhamma talk last every day from a monk
5:30am: Wake-up bell.
6:00: Morning sitting.
7:00: Tea, wash etc.
8:00: Work period.
8:40: Meditation (walking and sitting) and Dhamma Talk.
11:00: Meal, clean up, break.
1:20: Meditation (walking and sitting with a tea break).
5:40: Break and hot drink.
6:40: Meditation (walking and sitting).
8:00: Evening sitting and Dhamma Talk.
9:15: Free time.
10:00: Lights out
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Jechbi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm

And amazingly, the four-week options costs less than $700 USD. That's pretty cheap. Still, there is at least one free alternative, though it lasts just 10 days and you don't get to be ordained or referred to as a monk.
:smile:
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:49 pm

Greetings Jechbi,
Jechbi wrote:And amazingly, the four-week options costs less than $700 USD. That's pretty cheap. Still, there is at least one free alternative, though it lasts just 10 days and you don't get to be ordained or referred to as a monk.

In fact, in most Wats, in Thailand or elsewhere, you can do retreats for free (but of course making donations is always good). The $700 sounds like a good donation level...

And being a monk for a few weeks or months is something most Thai men do at some point. The "Home Wat" back in Bangkok of my local Wat ordains a couple of hundred young people for a month or so over Songkran every year, but of course they are catering to Thai speakers.

That particular "monk for a month" option looks genuine and would probably be really good for someone who wants to do it and has no Thai contacts.
:bow:

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Jechbi wrote:And amazingly, the four-week options costs less than $700 USD. That's pretty cheap. Still, there is at least one free alternative, though it lasts just 10 days and you don't get to be ordained or referred to as a monk.

Hi Jechbi
I'm intending to do a 30-day vipassana retreat later this year. I will be planning to dana an amount close to $US700.
Kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Individual » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Manapa wrote:Just went to my face book account and noticed this link on the side
so done a search and found this http://monkforamonth.com/

what does everyone think of this?
I think it is a bit strange although I have heard of another temple doing the same thing.

It's not even that expensive... I'd love to do this! :shock:
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:37 pm

that does look really good, not that expensive either
“Happy is the man who has broken the chains which hurt the mind, and has given up worrying once and for all.” Ovid
clw_uk

Postby appicchato » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:00 pm

It's all relative folks...a Thai ordaining for a month (or even longer) would give closer to one hundred (this Caucasian as well)...being in Thailand, one might wonder how this (seven hundred) squares with the Thai monks (at this wat)...

Be well... :smile:
appicchato

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Dear Venerable,

What you say is, of course, true. I would certainly not want to say anything negative about that particular Wat - I know nothing about them, but clearly there are many cheap/free options in Thailand. And there are many advantages to the student when Dhamma and accomodation are freely given and dana can then also be freely given. For one thing, it completely destroys the feelings that tends to arise from the idea that "I paid for this". Those can be a huge hindrance at times when things don't seem to be going so well (which are inevitable on retreat...).

Also, if one has no idea about Thailand this sounds like a safe option (though I have no knowledge of this particular Wat - I'd to a little investigation if I were considering it). And as Ben says it's certainly not an unreasonable donation for someone from Australia, USA, etc. And it's a lot less than what organisations such as IMS in the US charge to maintain their accommodation.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Monk for a Month?

Postby GrahamR » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 pm

appicchato wrote:It's all relative folks...a Thai ordaining for a month (or even longer) would give closer to one hundred (this Caucasian as well)...being in Thailand, one might wonder how this (seven hundred) squares with the Thai monks (at this wat)...

Venerable sir,

Can I ask how many men will study for a month nowadays? Most I know of may do it for a week or more commonly three days or in some cases even one day! Maybe this in Bangkok culture and things are better outside.

With Metta :bow:
Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
GrahamR

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 pm

one of the posters on e-sangha runs that monk for a month deal. i think you study with him and not with other monks or something, i'm not sure, but theres a thread on it over there. it seems like itd be the safest option for someone wanting the experience but not wanting/having the time to find a wat that would take a non thai speaking person etc.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Cittasanto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 pm

there are many free alternatives, the routine I posted above is from such a place and the length of stay is something which can increase, as well as becoming a Monk, something not done at goenka as it is a retreat centre
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby appicchato » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:38 am

GrahamR wrote:Can I ask how many men will study for a month nowadays? Most I know of may do it for a week or more commonly three days or in some cases even one day! Maybe this in Bangkok culture and things are better outside.

Hi Graham,

It's any, and all, of the above...(it seems) every wat/area has a different take on things...where I am (Kanchanaburi), two weeks is pretty much the minimum, with increasing increments after that, depending on other factors...

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:45 am

mikenz66 wrote:And there are many advantages to the student when Dhamma and accomodation are freely given and dana can then also be freely given.

:thumbsup:
appicchato

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:52 am

When I saw the thread title, the first thought I had was was that it takes at least a month just to get to learn how put the robes on so they do not fall off, but then looking at the pictures I see that this is the group of monks that wears a big yellow sash that holds everything in place. That problem solved. If it had been a full ordination, that I would question, but a novice ordination probably is okay, but a number of legitimate questions have been raised. I can only shrug my shoulders.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Mikenz66
mikenz66 wrote:And there are many advantages to the student when Dhamma and accomodation are freely given and dana can then also be freely given.

yes I fully agree, but in conection to this program on closer analasis this is a "commercial enterprise" done in connection with a group who are helping Refugees feed themselves, get education, and sell their goods, I suppose a sort of fancy Retreat centre which uses the profit for something good can have its advantages.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby Jesse Smith » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:19 am

With no disrespect intended to the Thai tradition, I see so many problems with this. It seems to minimize the basis for take up the robes, leaving home, sincere renunciation, commitment to a homeless life, etc. One weak comparison I could think of is those charity events where someone spends a night in jail, get's all dressed up in a striped uniform, and "pretends" to be an incarcerated criminal. I have to wonder how the people serving multiple years or even life sentences see this, how closely they think this reflects the true nature of a life in prison. (Just to be clear, I'm in no way comparing a monk's conditions with imprisonment).
From what I've read in the Suttas, the Buddha's words to monks, his advice on their conduct and their interaction with lay people, this type of program conflicts so much and opens up many problems.
Maybe I'm clinging to the name of the program, "Monk for a month". Maybe "Monk's physical surroundings for a month." Or "Live among monks for a month".
Jesse Smith

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:13 am

Jesse Smith wrote:With no disrespect intended to the Thai tradition, I see so many problems with this. It seems to minimize the basis for take up the robes, leaving home, sincere renunciation, commitment to a homeless life, etc

How?

One weak comparison I could think of is those charity events where someone spends a night in jail, get's all dressed up in a striped uniform, and "pretends" to be an incarcerated criminal. I have to wonder how the people serving multiple years or even life sentences see this, how closely they think this reflects the true nature of a life in prison. (Just to be clear, I'm in no way comparing a monk's conditions with imprisonment).

Didn't bother me and I was in a prison which still had slop outs in the morning (go to the toilet in a bucket at night and chuck it out in the morning)
a charity event is hardly comparable to full time imprisonment! besides it is a charity event and not supposed to be the real deal.

From what I've read in the Suttas, the Buddha's words to monks, his advice on their conduct and their interaction with lay people, this type of program conflicts so much and opens up many problems.
Maybe I'm clinging to the name of the program, "Monk for a month". Maybe "Monk's physical surroundings for a month." Or "Live among monks for a month

there are places which basically offer the same thing without the robes, such as 8 or 10 precept retreats, this is just slightly different as you wear robes also, which are given to novices who live by the 10 precepts, and Anagarika who live by 8
plus it could be said if they were truly genuine practitioners they would
Satipatthana Sutta wrote: having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building
and only go and find another monk when they felt they needed a teaching, advice, or support in their practice, and only gather in monasteries when it was Vessa, and they make it clear this project is a commercial enterprise aimed at foreigners who wish to adopt robes for a short time, and the proceeds are in aid of other projects.
I am only giving another outlook not defending this group.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:02 am

in thai traditional buddhism most men become a monk for a short time. it's seen as a right of passage of sorts, and brings merit to one's family. i doubt any monks in thailand really see it as any sort of insult. in fact most thai monks i know love the idea of westerners spending time in temples and learning the dhamma.
Last edited by jcsuperstar on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Next

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life