yoniso manasikara

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
sangyey

Re: yoniso manasikara

Post by sangyey »

I think there different though. Sampajana is also known as 'clear comprehension' and yoniso manasikara is known as 'wise consideration.' I'm just trying to figure out where yoniso manasikara comes into play in terms of practice or within a framework.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

sangyey wrote:I think there different though. Sampajana is also known as 'clear comprehension' and yoniso manasikara is known as 'wise consideration.' I'm just trying to figure out where yoniso manasikara comes into play in terms of practice or within a framework.
Yoniso Manasikara is what we are attending on and if it is appropriate.
Sampajana is how we should see the object.

if we are feeling ill will, and this is leading to more and more thoughts of ill will due to our attention being placed on it, then we should change our object, this is yoniso manasikara

if we are practicing Anapanasati yet we are distracted with thoughts of things that have happened which bring about negative feelings, we need to focus harder on the breath, this is yoniso manasikara.

clearly comprehending something doesn't make it an appropriate use of attention.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you that makes sense now. It almost seems then that yoniso manasikara is a facet of right effort and would be used in terms of the 5 hindrances.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Sangyey

I think it is more than that. It focuses the mind on the truths like anicca and dukkha- as noted in the sutta I posted earlier in the thread. A road from one place to the next can be described in various ways- using landmarks, naming roads or naming distances and turns. Similarly the path to nibbana can be explained in different ways. I suppose they do correspond to different places in different descriptions but there may not be clear one to one comparisons. I especially like the 'factors of stream entry' description where yonisomanasikara comes before one is mindful. It is a vehicle to carry what one has heard and pondered upon on to the mindfulness practice.

with metta

RYB
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you for the reply.