Are you S.A.D.?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Annapurna

Re: Are you S.A.D.?

Post by Annapurna »

meindzai wrote:Should I stop taking my medication for my Acid Reflux or should I just deal with burning pain in my esophogus?
Dear Meindzai, hope you don't find...

Studies showed that acid production can be as effectively reduced by Chamomile tea as by acid blockers....2-3 cups a day for 6 weeks, let soak covered not longer than 5 minutes...drink slowly before meals...

A different diet can also bind acid, or reduce it's production...

I simply wish people would know...allopathic remedies have side-effects, and usually cure only symptoms, and not causes....

Sorry, had to say it. ;)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I think we cant generalise about allopathic medicine Anna.
Some is very specific with few side effects for many subjects.
I would agree that some conditions like hyperacidity do not need allopathic medicine unless they are chronic and very painful with possible ulceration, in which case they will certainly need powerful antacids.
Conditions like Hiatus Hernia should also be investigated.
For generations it was assumed that all ulceration of the digestive tract was a result of stress. It has now been conclusively shown that it is bacterial in origin, and can be cured without surgery by a course of antibiotics administered together with acid blockers. The result is a complete cure. People are being cured of ulcers of many years standing.
When this was first announced in medical journals it was greeted with scepticism. The fact that ulcers are caused by bacteria is now universally accepted.
Allopathic medicine has its place.
Another natural remedy that can be effective for mild cases of hperacidity due to diet inbalance is Umeboshi Plum. They are Japanese pickled plums, and for many people a pinch of Umeboshi can relieve acidity by restoring the balance of the digestive tract.
But I digress.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:I think we cant generalise about allopathic medicine Anna.
Some is very specific with few side effects for many subjects.
I would agree that some conditions like hyperacidity do not need allopathic medicine unless they are chronic and very painful with possible ulceration, in which case they will certainly need powerful antacids.
Conditions like Hiatus Hernia should also be investigated.
For generations it was assumed that all ulceration of the digestive tract was a result of stress. It has now been conclusively shown that it is bacterial in origin, and can be cured without surgery by a course of antibiotics administered together with acid blockers. The result is a complete cure. People are being cured of ulcers of many years standing.
When this was first announced in medical journals it was greeted with scepticism. The fact that ulcers are caused by bacteria is now universally accepted.
Allopathic medicine has its place.
Another natural remedy that can be effective for mild cases of hperacidity due to diet inbalance is Umeboshi Plum. They are Japanese pickled plums, and for many people a pinch of Umeboshi can relieve acidity by restoring the balance of the digestive tract.
:anjali: Agree.
...Ulcers....It has now been conclusively shown that it is bacterial in origin
Helicobacter pylori.

But not all with hyperacidity have it...

Healing earth would be another natural remedy...
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Don't get me started Anna. Spent years with these types of "cures" including the ones you mentioned before I would even step into a doctor's office. Funny thing about them is that they don't always work.

-M
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Dear Meindzei, you sound a little bit angry, but I'm sure you are not, or are you?

I understand your frustration.

You say nothing worked out. It's true, sometimes things don't work. Health can be a very complex thing...

May I ask if you tried curing yourself with those methods?

Or did you consult somebody with a proper education in alternative or traditonal healing arts?

Hope I am not too curious...

Edit:

In my land, people would try the doctor first, btw. Only those who don't find help there, move on to people like me.

We get the hardest cases. The ones doctors give up...it's true...
alan

Post by alan »

Retro,
That looks like it would do the job, assuming you can get it close enough, and the light does not distract you from computer work.
I chose a table lamp that has a dimmer control; I can blast it at full volume and have it a slightly above my head and out of direct sight, but still work on my laptop. It is also great as a task lamp when I have to look down on small items. Finally, in the early evenings I will aim it up at a nearby wall or even towards the ceiling to brighten the room. All these make a table lamp with a flexible head more useful for me.
I bought the BLuemax from fullspectrum and love it.

To everyone else: light deprivation causes real problems to some of us. In winter I was sluggish and de-motivated to the point where I just really don't care at all about...anything. Please don't make judgements until you've read the science. It might seen silly but for me there had to be a break from dark winters or I was going to degenerate.
Cheers,
Alan
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

alan wrote:To everyone else: light deprivation causes real problems to some of us. In winter I was sluggish and de-motivated to the point where I just really don't care at all about...anything. Please don't make judgements until you've read the science.
No one said it didn't cause real problems. What I said (in effect) was that better lighting is not a real solution. Please don't make any judgements about the effectiveness of mindfulness as a cure for suffering until you have practised it assiduously for a long time.

If happiness is dependent on conditions (good lighting, good food, or whatever), then it is not real happiness. Search for that happiness which is not dependent on any conditions.

As long as we are not completely free from ill-will (dosa), which means attaining the third stage of the path, we will not be free from sorrow (domanassa).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
alan

Post by alan »

I asked you to look at the science. This is a medical problem, and should be treated as such.
I'll take your advice on matters where you have more knowledge and experience; this is not one of them.
Regards,
Alan
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Alan, no disrespect, but I suspect Venerable Pesala has raised a good point worth consideration. I suspect Stream-entry would be an effective cure for any mood affective conditions. Any discussion here?

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Bubbabuddhist wrote:Alan, no disrespect, but I suspect Venerable Pesala has raised a good point worth consideration. I suspect Stream-entry would be an effective cure for any mood affective conditions. Any discussion here?

J
I bet even jhana(proper) would do it. The question is how we take care of ourselves before we get to that point.

-M
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Lovingly.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Early to bed, early to rise, makes the mind healthy, wealthy and wise! or so the saying goes, and this is very true, live in accordance with the Dhamma and the Dhamma will protect you.

there is a sutta with a comment on light and how the practice can make the night as thought it is day, it is off the top of my head and I know it isn't correct as a quote, maybe someone has an Idea which one it is?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Manapa wrote:
there is a sutta with a comment on light and how the practice can make the night as thought it is day, it is off the top of my head and I know it isn't correct as a quote, maybe someone has an Idea which one it is?
Iddhipada-vibhanga Sutta: Analysis of the Bases of Power

If this is the Sutta you're referring too, I've never quite thought of it in relation to what you've described, but it's as good an analysis as I've seen, since I've always found the passage a little strange:
"There is the case where a monk develops the base of power endowed with concentration founded on desire & the fabrications of exertion, thinking, 'This desire of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly restricted nor outwardly scattered.' He keeps perceiving what is in front & behind so that what is in front is the same as what is behind, what is behind is the same as what is in front. What is below is the same as what is above, what is above is the same as what is below. [He dwells] by night as by day, and by day as by night. By means of an awareness thus open & unhampered, he develops a brightened mind."[/quote]

I always tended to think of it in terms of how we tend to have certain associations to night and day that are really rather arbitary, and how there can be some benefit to erasing those. I guess it ties in with what you are saying but I think of it more broadly.

-M
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Ben wrote:Do it this way Retro, and they really will think you're enlightened!
fester01.jpg
Hahaha
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

meindzai wrote:
Manapa wrote:
Iddhipada-vibhanga Sutta: Analysis of the Bases of Power

If this is the Sutta you're referring too, I've never quite thought of it in relation to what you've described, but it's as good an analysis as I've seen, since I've always found the passage a little strange:
Thanks that is the passage . . .
I have heard of some who after formal practice could see very clearly, like the light was on full, instead of turned down low (with the dimmer.)

I do think there is an aspect of, to use your words, erasing those arbitary associations, but there is also an aspect of being receptive to what is there, there is light at night time, and light in the day, it is the same light (from a sun/s) the only difference is the amount of light we get, and how we get it (directly or reflected,) and certainly it may not be as powerful, but it is still there.
part of the foundations of mindfulness, (as a seperate thing to the references) is an aspect of appropriate attention, setting aside greed and distress in regard to the world, and allot of the minor (i.e., likelihood of full medical intervention/hospitalisation for the condition is high) depressive disorders can be relieved with this appropriate attention, and even the major ones management can be helped using this.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill