Kimchi

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
catmoon

Kimchi

Post by catmoon »

Are there any other kimchi freaks about? I am about to start my second batch....
jcsuperstar

Re: Kimchi

Post by jcsuperstar »

i eat it, i like it, but i dont make it or anything... just dont have the time to be burying and digging up pots of cabbage in my yard :tongue:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

lol I'm not that traditionalist. I use the fridge. Between that and sealed containers the, uh, problem of uncontained volatiles is minimized. But I'm still trying to figure out the basics of methods. Some people top up the jar with brine from the soaking stage, some throw the brine away, and I can't figure out who does what or why.

Current recipe includes

1 napa cabbage
1 small dakon radish, sliced or v. coarse grated
small bunch green onions
2 T or more minced ginger
3 cloves garlic minced

Handful chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed dried chilis

For the soaking stage I use about 2 quarts water and 1/4 cup salt, but I think i need more salt because the cabbage stays so crispy and I think it is supposed to wilt somewhat.

Sourness takes a long time to develop in the fridge, at 2 weeks it is just getting started.

I am collecting recipes for the end product. So far I have tried

Kimchi fried rice (i add a couple of eggs and soy sauce)
Butter fried kimchi on toast - not bad!
"" "" on rice - better!

There must be some kind of kimchi casserole you can do, but I have no recipes fer that yet. Any and all suggestions welcome.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Haven't really had the opportunity to try it. I saw it in a whole foods type store once already made, but I didn't want my first experience with it to be something from a jar.

-M
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

I love Kimchi, I used to have really spicey one home-made by a Korean friend of mine (or rather his wife).

I don't know how to make it though and we can't get it in the shops, only when I go to a Korean restaurant.

But after reading your recipe, I am wondering... maybe ... we'll see ... ;)
dragonwarrior

Post by dragonwarrior »

i love kimchi.. very much! :twothumbsup:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The "why" Catmoon is the same reason that people who make their own yoghurt use some of the previous batch..It speeds up the process by introducing bacteria, yeasts, and enzymes, which speeds up the fermentation process. Kimchi is very good for the immune system. So, btw is REAL not factory, sauerkraut.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

NOM NOM NOM NOM.

*drool*

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
alan

Post by alan »

It's healthy, like most traditional fermented foods. Good stuff.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I make kimchi, with chinese cabbage I grow in my garden. But just today the damn sheep ate all my cabbages! Grrr! My gate blew open in the wind, and the sheep got in.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
plwk

Post by plwk »

Kimchi...

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi everyone

I apologise for the dumb question, but...
What is Kimchi?

I realise Catmoon has given a recipe, so is it a pickle, a cultured product or something else?
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Its fermented cabbage Ben. Associated with Korean cuisine. Layers of salted cabbage are fermented in clay vessels together with garlic and chillis, ginger root and so on. Sometimes with LOTS of chilli..
Its delicious, and has a probiotic effect on good gut bacteria that help in digestion.

:anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Peter!
I used to make my own pickled daikon back in the dark ages when I was on a macrobiotic diet, but i think Kimchi is in a different league than a simple brine pickle.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SDC

Post by SDC »

I live in a Korean neighborhood in NYC. I have grown quite fond of it.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3