Is this what America had become?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Thaibebop

Is this what America had become?

Post by Thaibebop »

Hello, all!
I have come across a couple things that have left me upset. I am not going to vent, just share and hope that positive change is on the way. I watch alot of The Young Turks on YouTube. I like them and their views alot. This is one of the stories that they have run today that has left me very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwiKGjM5tHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are two more vids from them that I feel I should share for those on the forum that live in America and have kids. This is concerning the new textbooks that Texas schools will have and that might make their way to the rest of the country. My heart is cold with fear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ivyj3AKP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OogjGxPTXcs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Thaibebop

Re: Is this what America had become?

Post by Thaibebop »

Wow, I just saw the title, please forgive my poor english.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Attachments
largeimagebs100317[1].gif
largeimagebs100317[1].gif (90.99 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

tiltbillings wrote:.
I want to laugh, but feel too bad about it. Texas. :cookoo:
alan

Post by alan »

Yes, this is what America has become. Actually, America has always been full of idiots and right-wing loons. From time to time the forces of good have had their day, but it has always been a struggle.
Given the fact that our media is controlled by corporate interests, and the political discourse is dominated by lying liars and the lies they tell, it does not come as a surprise that Texas, perhaps the dumbest of the states, is leading the way towards intellectual decline.
Although there are still some smart people in the U.S., I'd argue that the American dream is over. Greed, Hatred and Delusion rule the day.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

This is Texas' advertising slogan - no lie - I have heard it before and found this on a tourism web site:

And I tend to think of it that way...

-M
bodom

Post by bodom »

I love living here in San Antonio Texas.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

You must have infinite patience Bodom!
altar

Post by altar »

I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.
bodom

Post by bodom »

altar wrote:I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.
When was this ferry ride, 1963?

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Attachments
texas.gif
texas.gif (83.74 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
tex.gif
tex.gif (96.57 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Actually, there is a serious issue here other than Texas right-wing wingnuts trying to rewrite history. The state education system in Texas determines what texts are going to be used throughout the whole Texas, which can have a huge impact on school text book publishers throughout the whole of the United States. It is often too expensive to have a big publishing run of text books for Texas and change the books for other much smaller school systems, so other school system may end up with the same crap books Texas is using.

I once started a thread here on DW about the capacity of religion for making people really stupid and I got sharply abused for it, but it is true of religion and politics.

effort

Post by effort »

tiltbillings wrote:...
I once started a thread here on DW about the capacity of religion for making people really stupid and I got sharply abused for it, but it is true of religion and politics.
this is quite obvious in many places in the world. like middle east.
alan

Post by alan »

Can we get that thread up again?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Can we get that thread up again?
Have you looked at it?

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;