Is this what America had become?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kim OHara

Re: Is this what America had become?

Post by Kim OHara »

altar wrote:I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.
Where was this ferry ride? Cape Town?

Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
altar wrote:I was talking with my grandmother today and she mentioned a ferry she was once on where the seats for whites were padded whereas the colored section had wooden benches. And the drinking fountains were labelled. So it's not all bad.
Where was this ferry ride? Cape Town?

Kim
Cape Town? Try Anytown, Mississippi or any number of Southern states in the Jim Crow South between 1876 and 1965.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Don't for a minute believe that Texas has a monopoly on stupidity, ot for that matter, a monoply of mixing religion and politics to make really stupid decisions.
We are, hopefully, today voting out a Labor Party government in Tasmania. It is corrupt, incompetant and negligent. Unfortunately, some elements of the media down here are not independent which means there is essentially no political debate - certainly within the print media. Instead, we have one moronic columnist who, through her bible-quote peppered pieces, brings to mind the divine right of kings and suggests that we should just pray for our leaders and just be thankful. I've been living in Tasmania for a year now and its been an eyeopener.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

Out of interest, how popular is Bob Brown down that way?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Paul

As you know, Dr Bob Brown is in the Australian Senate, so he isn't up for election today - even though his federal electorate is in Tasmania.
Politics tends to be more schizophrenic down herethan on the mainland. There's certainly a massive divide between those members of the community who are behind the greens (or who are concerned for the environment), and those who just see our natural resources as something to be harvested and turned into pulp. The leader of the Tasmanian Greens is Nick McKim and he seems to be quite popular. McKim and Co have been subjected to some very dirty tricks courtesy of Tasmanian Labor during the campaign. McKim has come out of the campaign with his integrity intact, unlike the Labor Premier, David Bartlett. The latest poll suggests that both Labor and Liberal will end up with ten seats each with the Greens holding 5. It is expected that the Greens will form a lose coalition so that the Labor or Liberal parties can form "minority" government. There is history with two previous 'hung' parliaments with the Greens holding the balance, and both times it ended in political stalemate and an early election. However, I think the electorate's distate for the Bartlett Labor Government is so great that many people are risking a hung parliament to be rid of Labor.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

this thread could answer some of the "why don't i want to have kids" question in that other thread....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat