Theravadin Retreats (especially Goenka)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Element

Re: Theravadin Retreats (especially Goenka)

Post by Element »

appicchato wrote:Forgot to mention the Bhavana Society and Bhante G...top notch...again, not too far from you...check 'em out...http://www.bhavanasociety.org/retreats/
Hi Individual

Washington Buddhist Vihara has weekly meditation, recommends and is affiliated with the Bhavana Society.

Nice talk on meditation at this link.

A Goenka retreat will have a certain intensity as you know but remember, they are usually free of charge and one can always leave.

There is no harm in leaving and only benefit in staying.

Bhavana Society sounds balanced.

Best wishes

Element
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Individual,
Individual wrote:
jcsuperstar wrote:most thai temples dont have schedualed retreats every month, but would probably likely you stay and do one by yourself.
What do you mean stay and do one by myself? You mean I bring my own food and camp in the woods nearby? I don't understand.
No, most Wats will have guest rooms or kutis (huts).

Lay supporters bring food every day for the monks so a a few extra people makes no difference.

When I stay I generally do most of the meditation by myself and meet my teacher once a day. For people new to meditation a teacher would have more contact time...

Metta
Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

wat thai dc is pretty big too from what i've seen, the abbot is a pretty famous monk, writes stories, and the newsletter from the temple goes out to temples all over the states.

about the food, its not a big deal at most temples many older thai women, housewives, thai people not working etc, will come to feed the monks and eat lunch themselves, so theres an abundence of food. though you will be eatting thai food, made for thai people, so be prepared for things youre not gonna get in your thai resturant and for it to be much hotter, more sour etc. i actually ate these spicey ants and ant eggs once.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

mikenz66 wrote:
When I stay I generally do most of the meditation by myself and meet my teacher once a day. For people new to meditation a teacher would have more contact time...

Metta
Mike
yeah my monks take turns giving me dhamma talks, they look forward to it, it helps them with their english so i'm seen by them as helping them as well. so everyone gets something out of it.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Individual

Post by Individual »

There are these other Sanghas in my local area:
http://www.cambodian-buddhist.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.tummaprateip.iirt.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might they offer retreats or have guest rooms too?

The Goenka and Bhavana Society retreats are both months away and I feel a sense of urgency.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Element

Post by Element »

Got $320?

Insight Meditation Retreat - LR1
February 27 - March 4, 2009
Teachers: Larry Rosenberg & Michael Liebenson Grady
Sliding Scale Fees: Sustaining: $525; Mid: $425; Base: $320; Scholarship: $150

more details...

:meditate:
Individual

Post by Individual »

Element wrote:Got $320?

more details...

It's so expensive. I saw that... Not that specific one, but another IMC retreat elsewhere, for about the same cost...
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

I have to agree with Ben here - ehi passiko; see for yourself if this is right for you, and then decide.
I had the same preconceptions before I went on my first retreat as to whether it was too austere, too much of a cultish elements and too many rules; or whether I would just go plain crazy - but I was wrong on all aspects.

The teacher's advice was appropriate, the accommodation was clean(in NZ), and the food delicious.
I learnt about the importance of aditthana (strong determination) and upekkha (equanimity) in 10 days than what I would have learnt in 2 years of reading Dhamma books.

The technique and quirks of a Goenka retreat is not for everybody, but you should give yourself an opportunity to see if it is suitable for you.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

I found Larry Rosenburg's teachings to be quite touching and clarifying. When I review my Dharma-schooling history, my work with Larry always floats to the top as "valuable" and well worth the money spent. Money is pooh that I exchange for pearls of wisdom.
Individual wrote:
Element wrote:Got $320?

more details...

It's so expensive. I saw that... Not that specific one, but another IMC retreat elsewhere, for about the same cost...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.