United States --> Australia

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sobeh

United States --> Australia

Post by Sobeh »

If everything goes according to plan I am ordaining as a monk down in Australia (well, anagaraka first, and that after a preliminary period, but you know, the plane ticket will ideally end up being one-way).

Thing is, I'm getting all of my ducks in rows prior to leaving (very tentatively this November) and I wanted to get on top of the paperwork. I have never planned an international trip like this, and I find myself baffled when it comes to navigating travel visas. I was hoping there would be some knowledgeable folk here who might offer some signposts or guidelines to this process from their own experience.

For example, I think that I am supposed to get what's called an ETA, but is this everything I need to take care of? (Everything stateside is handled, e.g. passports and financial arrangements and whatnot.)

I hope this post finds itself in the correct location on the boards, and not repetitive - I tried to do my research beforehand.

metta,

~david m.
Ben

Re: United States --> Australia

Post by Ben »

Hi David

In your situation I would approach the Australian embassy or consulate closest to you for assistance with your planned trip/migration to Australia. Sorry I can't give you any more practical help!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi David

In addition to what Ben has said, have you made contact with the monastery you intend to stay at, on the visa issue? They may be able to help you.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Ajahn Brahm's in Australia.... now that's one hoopy frood.
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Stephen wrote:Ajahn Brahm's in Australia.... now that's one hoopy frood.
I had to look this one up!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... py%20frood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Yeah that's what happens when lingo from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy gets absorbed into my fuzzy brainspace; no one understands me. ;)
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

Monks have an outer robe.... large towel perhaps?
:alien: