What is holding you back from ordaining?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Brizzy

Re: What is holding you back from ordaining?

Post by Brizzy »

Hi

Just thought I'd look at this thread to see what everyone elses reasons are for not ordaining. I think everybodys posts cover why I havent. I think we have to be true to ourselves and realise that the lay life can be a very strong attachment - it is for me, and although I may think that when my family commitments are reduced, I will ordain - I am still not sure if I am kidding myself.

On another subject :-

Freawaru wrote:What I want to say is that I would not call anyone an arahat who cannot stay aware and knowing just because body and mind are in a state of orgasm. Or just because there is a baby that needs to be attended to and there is nobody else. How should that be Liberation? But as the suttas state that arahats are celibates the term "celibate" cannot possibly refer to it's every-day biological meaning.
Freawaru, are you implying that Arahants have sex or engage in sexual activity. The Buddha states in one of the suttas that craving can be overcome by craving and conceit by conceit etc. However in regard to the sexual act the Blessed One has advised the destruction of the bridge.http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

If you want to read the Buddhas explanation of celibacy it is found here :- AN 7 47, the sutta actually mentions coitus in regard to celibacy. Celibacy is to be celibate regarding the sexual act and sexual activity.

:smile:
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

I am wondering and thinking about ordaining...
But before I ordain I will spend six months living and working voluntarily at my local meditation centre. (and obeying the eight precepts).
I am going there in three weeks, to and staying till the end of September. I've taken six months off from work.
I think this is a good intermediate step on a path which may lead to ordination...
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Two big thumbs up: :twothumbsup:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Guy

Post by Guy »

BlackBird wrote:Two big thumbs up: :twothumbsup:
Seconded! :twothumbsup:
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings James,
James the Giant wrote:I am wondering and thinking about ordaining...
But before I ordain I will spend six months living and working voluntarily at my local meditation centre. (and obeying the eight precepts).
I am going there in three weeks, to and staying till the end of September. I've taken six months off from work.
I think this is a good intermediate step on a path which may lead to ordination...
I like it... it's got a bit of "try before you buy" about it.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Freawaru

Post by Freawaru »

Hi Brizzi,

I think I have already said everything I want regarding my reasons not to ordain on this thread.

I will answer your question on your thread at http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 37&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Well I do have occasional bouts with ordination fantasies... I notice however that they tend to co-inside with the more difficult stages of my practice... Although it is plain to me that the problems are within my own relationship to circumstances I sometimes desire to have a complete spiritual environment. What holds me back? Well I have no debts, wife, kids etc. One of my main concerns is the one session rule. I am a borderline diabetic and to eat once a day doesn't work with my body... I am not exactly sure if my health would be able to take ordination...
adosa

Post by adosa »

Clayton wrote:Well I do have occasional bouts with ordination fantasies... I notice however that they tend to co-inside with the more difficult stages of my practice... Although it is plain to me that the problems are within my own relationship to circumstances I sometimes desire to have a complete spiritual environment. What holds me back? Well I have no debts, wife, kids etc. One of my main concerns is the one session rule. I am a borderline diabetic and to eat once a day doesn't work with my body... I am not exactly sure if my health would be able to take ordination...

Hi Clayton,

I almost certain that in your situation a variance would be made. If you are serious I think it would be worth checking into it.

adosa :smile:
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I did want to ordain but had to make a choice because my parents were unwell and unable to take care of themselves. So I decided to go down the path of a lay person. It has been challenging for my practice- I have learnt a lot doing it- and I have looked after my parents. I sometimes feel like tearing my hair out (if I had any) when I see people who have the opportunity to ordain but don't go for it because they don't understand the dhamma enough.
I found that my ordination fantasies were strongest when I became sad -suggesting some kind of escape perhaps? I'm not sure. But now I don't wish strongly to ordain- that is yet another craving and I need to make peace with my choice. However I do teach and practice the dhamma- I guess I live partly vicariously from those I teach but also I have pushed the envelope of my development in many directions sometimes drawing back before I completely snuff out my sex drive (..my wife wants to have kids!). I have no problem with having kids- they will be yet another challenge to my practice- perhaps I will grow more towards the path because of it. I am confident that I will get to where I want to go before I die. I see my goal as nibbana if not in this lifetime then at the most by the next. What I do with my life -career etc- is just spending time-things I have to do- while I keep my eye on the goal and slowly build towards it.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Clayton,
Clayton wrote:One of my main concerns is the one session rule. I am a borderline diabetic and to eat once a day doesn't work with my body... I am not exactly sure if my health would be able to take ordination...
I'm pretty sure the one-session rule is one of the ascetic practices, and not one of the patimokkha rules. I think two meals are fine so long as they are before the sun crosses the zenith (or noon for simplicity)? Certain things would also be allowable as medicines in the afternoon, particularly given your condition.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

there are diabetic monks, so there has to be some sort of a way they're not just dropping dead etc.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi RYB
rowyourboat wrote:I did want to ordain but had to make a choice because my parents were unwell and unable to take care of themselves. So I decided to go down the path of a lay person. It has been challenging for my practice- I have learnt a lot doing it- and I have looked after my parents. I sometimes feel like tearing my hair out (if I had any) when I see people who have the opportunity to ordain but don't go for it because they don't understand the dhamma enough.
I found that my ordination fantasies were strongest when I became sad -suggesting some kind of escape perhaps? I'm not sure. But now I don't wish strongly to ordain- that is yet another craving and I need to make peace with my choice. However I do teach and practice the dhamma- I guess I live partly vicariously from those I teach but also I have pushed the envelope of my development in many directions sometimes drawing back before I completely snuff out my sex drive (..my wife wants to have kids!). I have no problem with having kids- they will be yet another challenge to my practice- perhaps I will grow more towards the path because of it. I am confident that I will get to where I want to go before I die. I see my goal as nibbana if not in this lifetime then at the most by the next. What I do with my life -career etc- is just spending time-things I have to do- while I keep my eye on the goal and slowly build towards it.
Indeed, having children does present its challenges with regards to practice. The very real challenges faced by a lay person in the day-to-day of daily life are not without significant pay-off with regards to progress on the path. I don't consider living the life of a householder and having a wife and children as second-rate compared with monastic life. One may not be able to meditate and study as much as one could without family, but renouncing our own desires and serving others, I have found, have profound benefits. Any life that is anchored on the Dhamma is not only a good life but a great life. RYB, remember the example of Anathapindika.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Thanks Retro, JC, and Adosa for your encouragement. I have probably close to a year left before I finish my undergraduate degree. As this is something my parents encourage I have no intention of going forth before I complete this part of my practice. I don't believe I wish to be in robes for the rest of my life, im just 22, but I really feel like a year or so would be a great opportunity for me to center further in my practice. Besides I imagine that soon enough I will have a partner, job etc... which will make monastic life out of the question. I guess I could just look up some Theravada monasteries and try to contact them to see what is possible...

With Metta,

Clayton
Midnight Passenger

Post by Midnight Passenger »

Good afternoon, all,

I have been thinking about becoming a monk for a few years, but the only thing that is stopping me is the first Saṅghādisesa rule in the Vinaya. I feel confident that I can abide by all of the rest of the rules without much strain, but after a few weeks I think I would break this one. Any insight on this would be appreciated!

Thanks!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Midnight Passenger wrote: I have been thinking about becoming a monk for a few years, but the only thing that is stopping me is the first Saṅghādisesa rule in the Vinaya. I feel confident that I can abide by all of the rest of the rules without much strain, but after a few weeks I think I would break this one. Any insight on this would be appreciated!
Then you probably should not ordain, at least not yet! The reason I say that is because it is probably an issue that will keep coming up (no pun intended).

According to Ven. Dhammika, about 70% of all monastics disrobe because of issues about lust and sex. Therefore, it is best not to ordain until that is no longer an issue for you. (The other 30% is from boredom, or rather lack of interest in meditation, pastoral duties, etc.)

The usual prescription for lustful thoughts is meditation and reflection on the foulness of the body, impermanence, and mindfulness of death.