How many times a day do you sit?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Kenshou

Re: How many times a day do you sit?

Post by Kenshou »

Collective wrote:Well I tend to put in 3 20 minute sessions every day give or take one or two. But I am genuinely concerned about what would give me the best benefit, more shorter sits or fewer longer.
Whatever works for you, you've got to experiment for yourself. I think total time is more important than how many sessions per day (within reason, 30 1 minute sittings probably wouldn't do much good), but you know your mind best.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Kenshou wrote:
Collective wrote:Well I tend to put in 3 20 minute sessions every day give or take one or two. But I am genuinely concerned about what would give me the best benefit, more shorter sits or fewer longer.
Whatever works for you, you've got to experiment for yourself. I think total time is more important than how many sessions per day (within reason, 30 1 minute sittings probably wouldn't do much good), but you know your mind best.
It probably wouldn't help for developing concentration (30 x 1 minute), but maybe some might find it useful as a reminder to maintain mindfulness throughout the day?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

My experience has been that the longer I sit, the greater the benefit, provided it's done on a consistent basis. I was taught that it takes most people a minimum of 20 minutes to achieve any meditative absorption.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Mukunda wrote:
My experience has been that the longer I sit, the greater the benefit, provided it's done on a consistent basis. I was taught that it takes most people a minimum of 20 minutes to achieve any meditative absorption.
I'm starting to realise and experience this myself. Maybe 2 x 30 minute sits are in order, or 1 x 45 minute sit (which I can't do - not yet anyway).
Ben

Post by Ben »

2 x 1h 10m
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

Collective wrote: I'm starting to realise and experience this myself. Maybe 2 x 30 minute sits are in order, or 1 x 45 minute sit (which I can't do - not yet anyway).
My recommendation would be to sit twice a day for 30 minutes at a time, and gradually add to that time, but maintain 2 sittings a day if at all possible. Once I got into the habit, it didn't take me long to work my way to 1 hour twice a day. The key is setting the intention and then following through, no matter what. After all, that's how the Buddha achieved enlightenment. He sat down and decided he would not get up until he had achieved his goal.
IanAnd

Post by IanAnd »

It's not so much the time you put in (although longer sits can tend to be more conducive to better quality sessions overall) it's about the quality of the time you do put in and what you get out of it. By that I mean, what you realize from having taken the time to calm your mind down long enough and well enough to "hear yourself think," as well as to develop your ability to remain concentrated on a subject or object. Remember, this is as much about cultivating your mental abilities (concentration and tranquility) as it is about learning to see the truth in the Dhamma.

If you're wanting to wean yourself off three sits a day, try 2 thirty minute sits a day, one in the morning and the other in the late afternoon or evening. You can gradually lengthen the time up to 45 minutes each on your way to one hour apiece. A lot can get accomplished in 30 minute segments. Even more in 45 min. to 1 hour segments.

If your meditation practice (i.e. your diligence toward having a practice) lasts long enough for you to gain any real benefit, you should begin to notice that you come to look forward to these sessions for a variety of reasons, not the least of them being that time spent in contemplation generally helps you to begin seeing the things going on in your life more clearly, not to mention any Dhamma themes you may happen to focus on during that time.
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV
Collective

Post by Collective »

Thank you everyone for your advice and support.

Today I'll start 2 x 30 minute sits, I'm not totally confident but I'll give it a go.

Thank you again
Ben

Post by Ben »

All the best with your efforts, Collective!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

trying to keep it up

Daily: 1 X 20-30 min
Weekends: 1 X 30-40 min

metta
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

:offtopic:
:focus:
:offtopic:
:focus:

I'll do this for either one or two hours a day, depending on the wherewithal, morning and/or evening. My preference is for long sits over short ones because it more often results in a somewhat blissful seclusion. To me, ten minutes just feels too much like a New Age self-help calming technique instead of bhavana.
Collective

Post by Collective »

Ben wrote:All the best with your efforts, Collective!

Ben
Thank you Ben
Collective

Post by Collective »

Isn't it strange, and very telling, that one of the hardest things for most of us to do (at least initially) is to sit and do nothing.

Thanks for all the feedback :namaste:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I dont know Collective. I have never tried... :smile:
I do practice meditation though and its hard work at times.
Collective

Post by Collective »

PeterB wrote:I dont know Collective. I have never tried... :smile:
I do practice meditation though and its hard work at times.
Good point.

Today I sat for 30 minutes for the first time, and it was a good expereinc and at one point my whole body felt like it was tingling all over, and I was very relaxed. It was a much deeper experience. Has anyone else experienced this tingling sensation? It flooded me, and when it arrived it was not slow, but filled my body rapidly.