Why Theravada...?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BobbyC

Why Theravada...?

Post by BobbyC »

Hi everyone :)

I'm just curious as to why all of you have chosen Theravada as your chosen path in Buddhism? Or possibly why you did not choose another path...?

Much metta,

Bobby

:yingyang:
bodom

Re: Why Theravada...?

Post by bodom »

I have chosen the Buddhayana path. Whether some want to call it Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, the methods vipassana or zazen, is up to them. The important thing is the understanding and practice of the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. If my inclinations are towards the "Theravadan" side of things so be it. I was never much for labels anyway.

:anjali:
Last edited by bodom on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bobby,
I'm just curious as to why all of you have chosen Theravada as your chosen path in Buddhism? Or possibly why you did not choose another path...?
For me it was because Theravada is the only extant tradition that seems to care about what the Buddha actually taught. Not coincidentally, it also makes a lot of sense.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

BobbyC wrote:Hi everyone :)

I liked the ideal of the medicant monk and started ot expecting to become one.

There was/is plenty of Theravada/Insight meditation activity in the city where I live, not so much of the other schools.

When I started travelling in my own country and around the world to do retreats I found generally the Theravadin/Insight meditation style retreats were intensive enough for me and readily available quite cheaply so I could do more of them.

I liked the fact that there were both monastic and secularised Insight meditation styles available.

Aside from the above I could have equally have ended up practicing Zen.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Kare

Post by Kare »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Bobby,
For me it was because Theravada is the only extant tradition that seems to care about what the Buddha actually taught. Not coincidentally, it also makes a lot of sense.

Metta,
:goodpost: :clap:
Mettāya,
Kåre
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

As I answered on other threads:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3188#p46492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 064#p44116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Personal contact.
Wandered into my local Wat, met calm and happy monks and lay people so I stuck around. I didn't have any real understanding about the different types of Buddhism until much later, so there was absolutely no "intellectual decision" or comparing of options in my case.
This idea that some talk about of deciding that one needs a spiritual path, and then deciding between the alternatives never occurred to me. I just stumbled onto some sort of path...

Metta
Mike
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

For me, I started studying Buddhism from the Theravadin viewpoint because it seemed to me to be the least "modified" by cultural change/compromise. So, the Pali Canon (Tipitaka) and associated books by Theravadin bhikkhus and scholars were at the top of my to-do list.

I've grown to appreciate the totality of Buddhism as encompassed by all schools of thought and cultures within which Buddhism can be found. As such, if I were to become a monk in the future I have absolutely no idea which "school" it would be; likely it would just be whatever is convenient, since I'm already versed in the core concepts that are found in all Buddhist schools and have made some realization progress.

I still think the Pali Canon is the most authentic/reliable source of the Buddha's original teachings around, though that does not discount that Buddhism in other cultures does not also represent the path.
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Stephen wrote: I still think the Pali Canon is the most authentic/reliable source of the Buddha's original teachings around, though that does not discount that Buddhism in other cultures does not also represent the path.
I'll go along with that and with Retro's reply, but my experience is almost the opposite of Mike's in that there is no local Theravada meditation group so I sit with (shh! :tongue: ) a local Tibetan group. They are nice folk and give me encouragement and a sense of community that I wouldn't otherwise get.

:namaste:
Kim
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

BobbyC wrote:Hi everyone :)

Much metta,

Bobby

:yingyang:
Hi

I came to follow the "Theravada Path" by a very cicuitous route. My first attraction to it, was as a child I loved the pure simplicity & tranquility it appeared to represent. Then as I grew into my mid to late teens the MAGIC of Tibetan Buddhism was very alluring. I then drifted into the vipassana religion before I finally re-evaluated and I now follow the four Nikaya path(represented by certain groups/teachers within the Theravada tradition).
I seem to have come full circle(what a muddle we make if we always look for something that was obvious in the first place).

:smile:
Kokoro

Post by Kokoro »

I was very attracted to the analytical aspect of Theravada Dhamma. Theravada Buddhists I spoke with encouraged me to investigate things honestly and sincerely without shame or the stigma of being called faithless which is often associated with many religious teachings in the world today. I have studied many philosophies and religious doctrines, and I was often met with hostility or anger if I looked into something for a while and then decided to move on rather than embrace that teaching. This has never been the case with Theravada Buddhism. One Bhikkhu I had been in contact with, even when I began studying a teaching which was in stark contrast to Theravada, continued to offer me friendly advice when I asked, and encouraged me to continue my study of that teaching until my mind had been satisfied.
People often told me the greatest warrior never reveals his skill unless it is absolutely necessary. He listens to those who brag their way is the best way and observes them without judgement or jealousy. His skill is revealed when he finds himself in a situation that requires it, but he reveals only what is required and when it is done he moves on without becoming intoxicated by his victory and ignores the fame accumulated with it while avoiding snubbery. He teaches those who make an honest and sincere request to learn, and he does not fear the chance they may surpass him in skill. To me this is the "Thera Nature." Like the great warrior, Theravada Buddhism welcomes all who sincerely wish to learn, but those who are not ready need not feel threatened. Those who feel threatened often feel so because they're not used to "an opponent who remains unmoved by braggery and intimidation."
I can not think of a war or battle that had the support of the Theravada Sangha at any point in time, other than the battle against one's own untrained mind, which has always been supported.
There is much more I can say but it all boils down to the main point I've made above. As the Blessed Buddha said, and this holds so much meaning to me and is to me the epitomy of "why Theravada:"

"Ehipassiko" (Come and See)

:anjali:
Jack

Post by Jack »

>I liked the fact that there were both monastic and secularised Insight meditation styles available.<

What do you see as the difference?

jack
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I used to like Madhyamaka a lot and that is what lead me to believe in Mahayana and Vajrayana ideals; however, from a Theravada abhidhammic point of view, I see that while Madhyamaka might seem appealing it is still conceptual proliferation. It does not have to do with realities that arise here and now, and which are empty of a self. Their main problem, as I see it, is that they rejected the abhidhamma, began philosophising and writing their own abhidharmas to fit their thoughts. Had they accepted the Abhidhamma that the Buddha taught, they would know the distinction between realities and concepts and not get lost in that proliferating mire. The concepts they developed are simply concepts, just like concepts of god, or of nothing, or of a tree, a person, a house, rock, a being, etc. It is far from satipatthana, which arises based on conditions, and eradicates the view of self. The mind is like a great painter.

Kevin
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Jack wrote:>I liked the fact that there were both monastic and secularised Insight meditation styles available.<

What do you see as the difference?

jack
This would probably be clearer if I insert a couple of commas;
"I liked the fact that there were both monastic, and secularised Insight meditation, styles available."

So I meant both styles, not both insight meditation styles.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Virgo wrote:Abhidhamma that the Buddha taught
Well actually... Nah just kidding ;)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Northernbuck

Post by Northernbuck »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Bobby,

Metta,
Yup. That would be my answer as well.
But if this neutral feeling that has arisen is conditioned by the body which is impermanent, compounded and dependently arisen, how could such a neutral feeling be permanent? - SN 36.7