Are you wearing skins?...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
appicchato

Are you wearing skins?...

Post by appicchato »

acinteyyo

Re: Are you wearing skins?...

Post by acinteyyo »

I cannot imagine anything more brutal than human kind.
:weep:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

acinteyyo wrote:I cannot imagine anything more brutal than human kind.
:weep:
it's brutal for "all" sentient beings ... with no distinction !

Sönam
no hope ... no fear
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I couldn't whatch the whole video...
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

Horrible. But no different than what happens to the animals that wind up on dinner plates.
Dudenextdoor

Post by Dudenextdoor »

Modus.Ponens wrote:I couldn't whatch the whole video...
I'm with you there. Actually didn't make it very far in.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Mukunda wrote:Horrible. But no different than what happens to the animals that wind up on dinner plates.
None at all...millions (billions?) of times every day...in Thailand more than sixty million chickens (just chickens) every...single...day...then you've got your pigs, ducks, buffalo, basically anything that lives and breathes...on and on...
cooran

Post by cooran »

And given the utter utter rarity of Human rebirth .... more incentive to get on with the Practice.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

appicchato wrote:
Mukunda wrote:Horrible. But no different than what happens to the animals that wind up on dinner plates.
None at all...millions (billions?) of times every day...in Thailand more than sixty million chickens (just chickens) every...single...day...then you've got your pigs, ducks, buffalo, basically anything that lives and breathes...on and on...
On the other hand, what to wear? The production of cotton requires vast amounts of herbicides and insecticides. While these may not have the wholesale slaughter of of highr life forms as is bound up in the use of animals for food and clothing, the destruction of life directly and indirectly and the degradation of the environment is significant and extremely long lasting, and this is no less so for food crops. Life is predicated upon death.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

tiltbillings wrote:On the other hand, what to wear? The production of cotton requires vast amounts of herbicides and insecticides.
WRONG! Cotton can most definitely be grown organically, as can hemp. Production of hemp not only produces textiles, but food stuffs as well. For those of us in the developed world, the use of any kind of animal product IS NOT necessary for our survival and is based solely in self centered desire. I appreciate that in some areas of the world use of animals for survival may be necessary, but if you are typing on computer, hooked into the power grid, you probably do not live in one of those areas.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mukunda wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:On the other hand, what to wear? The production of cotton requires vast amounts of herbicides and insecticides.
WRONG! Cotton can most definitely be grown organically, as can hemp.
Can be, but mostly cotton is not.
Production of hemp not only produces textiles, but food stuffs as well. For those of us in the developed world, the use of any kind of animal product IS NOT necessary for our survival and is based solely in self centered desire. I appreciate that in some areas of the world use of animals for survival may be necessary, but if you are typing on computer, hooked into the power grid, you probably do not live in one of those areas.
A major problem is the grossly over-populated world we live in and very few people see things in terms of long range survival. Life is predicated upon death.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

I watched a few minutes of the video Bhante posted but couldn't go on.
The effect it had on me was to be more vigilant with regards to keeping and refining my precepts.
Not just because of the obvious benefits to me, but also for the impacts on other beings as a result of my actions.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Tread lightly upon the earth.
Reduce, re-use, recycle.

All of our consumption is, ultimately, at the expense of other life. I'm not going to suggest we should all abstain from eating :tongue: but we can and should be mindful of what we eat and drink, what we wear, etc, and (at least) avoid over-consumption and waste.
:namaste:
Kim
Clueless Git

Post by Clueless Git »

appicchato wrote:
You can add me to those who see no difference.

In fact I'll put my name down as saying that compared to the suffering caused by the meat industry that owt caused by the fur and skin industries is nowt but a drop of pee in the sea.
Clueless Git

Post by Clueless Git »

Mukunda wrote: For those of us in the developed world, the use of any kind of animal product IS NOT necessary for our survival and is based solely in self centered desire. I appreciate that in some areas of the world use of animals for survival may be necessary, but if you are typing on computer, hooked into the power grid, you probably do not live in one of those areas.
May I add to that ?

People only need to live in areas where the use of animals is necessary for survival because so much of the land that could grow food for people is ring fenced off for the sole purpose of growing food to fatten the developed worlds vast unnatural flocks and herds.