Sri Lanka bans rapper Akon over racy video 'defaming Buddha'

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Anders

Re: Sri Lanka bans rapper Akon over racy video 'defaming Buddha'

Post by Anders »

Mukunda wrote:I think saying the Sri Lankans shouldn't have been offended, and then acted improperly misses the point.
I really don't. When violence enters the picture, a 2 second shot of a buddha statue in the background quickly becomes a very irrelevant point to make a fuzz about.

Would it have been nice if that clip wasn't in the video? Sure. But the actual problem is Buddhist fundies making much ado about nothing. This is not a question of 'respect my religion'. It's a question of kicking up a fuzz about one's religion. It's not cool when Christians and moslems do it and it's not cool when Buddhists do it either.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Mukunda wrote: It is also important to understand why offense was taken to avoid further problem. A lot easier to point the finger at other's mistakes than to take responsibility for own, especially when we choose to not consider others sensibilities and feelings.
Bet you a fiver Akon won't be doing that again.
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Actually, did anyone notice that the Buddha in the video, even with all those scantily clad people dancing around, neither twitched or moved at all!
It is a true example of his meditative equipoise and insight into the nature of conditioned reality!
Just as when Mara's daughters tried to tempt him, and he was attacked by Mara's hordes!

:jumping:

If only we could do the same ... :tongue:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Vangelis

Post by Vangelis »

I'm shocked and disappointed by the response of a small handful of Sri Lankans. Show me in the suttas where the Buddha advocates violence as a response to anything. I'm not sure that there was such a violent response by Buddhists to the destruction of the Bamyan statues by the Taliban. Anyway, this sort of display by supposed Buddhists, saddens me.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

People add more content to things as there really is.
If somebody would kick a wooden buddha-rupa down the street, I wouldn't bother any more as if somebody would kick any other piece of wood down the street. In fact I wouldn't bother at all.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

I was listening to an NPR story recently that made reference to Muslims who get mad when they see an image of their Prophet depicted. I remember thinking "These people really need to chill out."

I think exactly the same thing here.

-M
alan

Post by alan »

Another example of religion making people stupid.
alan

Post by alan »

Really makes me want to go ordain in Sri Lanka, because that is where you meet all those spiritual, peaceful people who are so...oh, wait. Hmm.
adosa

Post by adosa »

acinteyyo wrote:People add more content to things as there really is.
If somebody would kick a wooden buddha-rupa down the street, I wouldn't bother any more as if somebody would kick any other piece of wood down the street. In fact I wouldn't bother at all.

best wishes, acinteyyo

Agreed. Big deal.

adosa :smile:
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding. Even then you should train yourselves: 'Our minds will be unaffected and we will say no evil words. We will remain sympathetic, with a mind of good will, and with no inner hate. We will keep pervading these people with an awareness imbued with good will and, beginning with them, we will keep pervading the all-encompassing world with an awareness imbued with good will — abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.' That's how you should train yourselves.
- MN 21

I don't think "Akon" had any intention to defame "Buddhism" in fact he's only a guest star in this music video, I doubt he made the decision to shoot the video at that location. Still seems to me a little strange that there are people here blaming "Akon" for all of this... In the end "Buddhism" can be just another attachment, aren't we supposed to be letting go of them?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

In response to this video, there are two "We Hate Akon" buddhist-themed groups on facebook. I promptly messaged the creators of the groups to remind them that a buddhist group with the word "hate" in it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
I'm sort of upset at all of the negative attention all of this is bringing to buddhism. Especially the violence.
Akon says he honestly didn't mean it, and he apologized... which was very gracious of him. Karma's all about INTENTION, if I recall. He didn't intend to hurt anyone.
We also must remind ourselves not to be attached to images, even those of the buddha.

I extend compassion and love to both Akon and the Sri Lankans. Hopefully we can all get on the same page.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

On the other hand:
some of Akon's lyrics are not suitable for public articulation.
Much wisdom here. :tongue:

J "I Hate Rap, Not the Rapper" Foppington
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

Two things come to my mind. (1) How many of us western Buddhists are aware of the historical reality of colonial suppression of the Dhamma in Sri Lanka? and (2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Mukunda wrote:Two things come to my mind. (1) How many of us western Buddhists are aware of the historical reality of colonial suppression of the Dhamma in Sri Lanka?
May I ask what this has to do with Akon and the 'Buddha-defaming' video he appears in?
Mukunda wrote: and (2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?
There's plenty of it, just not here because well, why get outraged? Isn't that just giving in to your defilements? Why burden yourself with anger over something that's not gonna bring you any closer to happiness?

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
bodom

Post by bodom »

Mukunda wrote:(2) Where is the outrage over the messages of sexual exploitation and denigration of women, violence, homophobia, etc that Akon and other rap performers promulgate?
Sex sells. Simple as that.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB