Safe Journey and Happy Landings Ben!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Safe Journey and Happy Landings Ben!

Postby cooran » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51 pm

Hello Ben,

Happy Travels, moving from Victoria to Tasmania - just one thing .....
~ how are we going to manage you now that you are becoming a Tasmanian Devil?

..... I would like to suggest that all unordained Globals have to wear a muzzle when on Dhamma Wheel.

metta
Chris

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Re: Safe Journey and Happy Landings Ben!

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:55 pm

man i dont even remember what i was gonna post, when i scrolled down to hit reply i had a screen full of devil gonads....
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby genkaku » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 pm

May it be cooler where you landed than where you took off from.

And while you're about things, help save the Tasmanian Devil. We all need a little pepper in our lives.

Best wishes.
genkaku

Postby Jechbi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:02 pm

wow. I'm impressed.

:jawdrop:

(p.s., Good luck Ben!)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Dear Chris

I don't know which I laughed more at - the thought of a muzzle or the picture of the tasmanian devil! The kids came laughing to see what their old man was laughing at! The muzzle might be a good idea for another reason... Alexander Pierce, an escapee from the Sarah Island Penal Colony, fed on his co-escapees as he travelled overland from the west-coast to Jericho. Tasmania is also the place where colonists and convict conscripts formed 'the black line' and systematically rounded up or killed the aboriginal population. The remnants of which were settled on Flinders Island. The natural beauty of Tasmania is breathtaking. Very wild cold-temperate rainforests which for years the Taswegians have endeavoured to destroy by building dams, and wholesale logging of old-growth forests.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'm boarding the Spirit of Tasmania tonight with my boys and the two hounds. Leaving is bitter-sweet. We arrive in Devonport sometime tomorrow about 6AM and then its 100km down the road to 'Lonny' (Launceston).
Take care

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:17 pm

Alexander Pierce, an escapee from the Sarah Island Penal Colony, fed on his co-escapees as he travelled overland from the west-coast to Jericho

was there a movie about this? or did i just remember a past life??
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm worried that Ben might feel the need to create a second Dhamma Wheel account.

;)

Just kidding, of course...

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:25 pm

jcsuperstar wrote:
Alexander Pierce, an escapee from the Sarah Island Penal Colony, fed on his co-escapees as he travelled overland from the west-coast to Jericho

was there a movie about this? or did i just remember a past life??

Yes, made for Television. Irish-Australian co-production:http://www.if.com.au/inprods/index.htmlView.aspx?prodid=163
Maybe it could be a past life. Do you ever get the feeling something is eating you?
Cheers

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby genkaku » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:44 pm

I'm not sure why I feel compelled to confess, but I do: Tasmania, New Zealand and the Orkneys are all places about which I know extemely little and yet I have a wonderful fantasy life that includes all of them. Maybe my brain has been addled by cannibalism. :)
genkaku

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:13 am

Adam, I am happy for you to have a vicarious interest in my adventures. However, it will require you to come visit someday soon!

Thank you all for your kind wishes. Its time I pulled apart my computer and internet cabling. I hope to 'see' you again in a few days.
Metta

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Dhammanando » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:38 am

Hi Ben,

I hope you're all settling in nicely.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:47 am

Ben, may your arrows fly straight and land true.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:55 am

Greetings,

An SMS received from Ben....

"Hi Paul. I'm in Launceston but no power until tomorrow afternoon. Ph battery going flat. Waiting for removalist. Please say hi to gang".

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby appicchato » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:38 am

Beautiful downtown 'Lonny'...so, Ben, where's the pad?... :popcorn:

appicchato

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:15 am

:hello:

By the time you read this, you might be already getting unpacked at your new place. Welcome again and hope you like your new home!

A former Army brat and later did some service with the U.S. federal government, I have moved over 25 times. Welcome to the gypsy life! :rolleye:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:32 am

The latest from Ben via SMS...

"I might be off line until mid next week. Going through withdrawal from dhamma wheel. Going well here. Launceston is beautiful. Please say hi to gang"

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:06 am

Hi all

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Its been a really crazy few weeks, the last week in particular.
Last Sunday night I drove the car and the horse float to Station Pier in South Melbourne following a final clean and tidy of our Creswick house in 40+C temperatures. I hadn't been on an ocean-going ferry since a trip to Europe when I was 11 years old, so the experience was partly reminiscent of my childhood and a new experience entirely. I had the good fortune to be sharing it with my two boys. After we drove onto the ferry we put our two pampered and retired greyhounds in the kennels and made our way to our cabin. We had a great night exploring the boat and being out on deck while we sailed towards the entrance of Port Philip. Both boys got to sleep on top bunks and after I put them to bed, I settled down on one of the bottom bunks to meditate. I could tell the moment we passed through the heads and entered Bass Strait as the top half of my body began to swing gently like a pendulum from side to side and forward and back.

On the same day I landed in Devonport, I moved into our new home in Launceston with the first of two shipping container's worth of worldly attachments. The second container has been delayed and won't get here until next week. Our horses arrived today at their agistment paddock, one of which was injured, but not seriously, in transit. The house we are living in is a victorian-era townhouse located less than ten minutes walk from the centre of Launceston. In the other direction, we have my youngest son's school campus less than 300 metres walk away, and another 2km is the senior school campus where my 13 y/o son and my wife will be studying and working. We have enough bedrooms for me to convert one into a mediation room. My youngest son, had great fun setting up a shrine for me and he has recommenced his meditation!

On Thursday I flew back to Melbourne where I went to see Leonard Cohen in concert and I arrived back home this afternoon.
The concert was brilliant and made up for his woeful 45min performance in Sydney in 1985. Cohen was on stage for about 3 hours singing the songlines of samsara. He came back for four encores.

When in Melbourne yesterday I visited the Theosophical Society Bookshop. Historically, the Theosophical Society in Australia were supporters of the Theravada. I noticed that except for a few Theravadin Dhamma books, the remaining collection of Buddhist books were 80 percent Tibetan, and 20 percent Zen oriented. I was delighted to pick up a a copy of Nyanaponika Thera's 'Abhidhamma Studies' and a mala for my wife.

On the way back home this morning , I was selected for a random explosives scan at Melbourne airport. While complying and having my hand luggage explored and scanned, the young Greek-Australian security officer noticed my copy of 'Great Disciples of the Buddha' and began to quiz me on Buddhism and why I was attracted to it and how long I'd been a Buddhist'. Quite an unusual conversation over the ionized particle detector, I thought!

Anyway my friends, there's no rest for this samsaric being. In a few days I hope to upload some photos to share with you. In the meantime, I'll be back to my usual frequency of contributing and quietly overlooking the boards.
Thanks again for your kindness and good wishes.
Its good to be 'home'.

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:38 am

Hey Ben, good to hear from you. I wished I had bought tickets to see Leonard Cohen. :cry:

Looking forward to the photos!

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby christopher::: » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Great to hear of your adventures, Ben. Sorry I'm so late to be reading this thread. Beautiful imagery there of you swaying like a pendulum as your ferry entered Bass Strait. Ya should have perhaps taught that move to the airport security guard? I once read somewhere that they never arrest pendulums.

:reading:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Postby Fede » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Those Tazzy gonads look dangerous enough to me... never mind the business end!!

ben - just sending you my good wishes for a great move, and everything to run smoothly for you..... Hope the horse is better now.
Hope you have recovered from your random explosive check.
Hope you never run into either end of the Tasmanian devil. :jumping:

Hugs.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Return to Lounge