Dalai Lama's opinion of Vissudhimagga

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cooran

Dalai Lama's opinion of Vissudhimagga

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Came across this and thought it may be of interest:

Message from His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

<The history of the development of Buddhist literature seems to be marked by periods in which the received teachings and established scriptures are assimilated and consolidated and periods of mature creativity when the essence of that transmission is expressed afresh. Bhadantaacariya Buddhaghosa's Visuddhimagga is a classic text of the latter type. It represents the epitome of the Pali literature, weaving together its many strands to create this wonderful meditation manual, which even today retains the clarity it revealed when it was written.
These are occasions when people like to make much of the supposed differences in the various traditions of Buddhism that have evolved in different times and places. What I find especially encouraging about a book such as this is that it shows so clearly how much all schools of Buddhism have fundamentally in common. Within a structure based on the traditional three trainings of ethical discipline, concentration and wisdom are detailed instructions on how to take an ethical approach to life, how to meditate and calm the mind, and on the basis of those how to develop a correct understanding of reality. We find practical advice about creating an appropriate environment for meditation, the importance of developing love and compassion, and discussion of dependent origination that underlies the Buddhist view of reality. The very title of the work, the Path of Purification, refers to the essential Buddhist understanding of the basic nature of the mind as clear and aware, unobstructured by disturbing emotions. This quality is possessed by all sentient beings which all may realize if we pursue such a path.
Sometimes I am asked whether Buddhism is suitable for Westerners or not. I believe that the essence of all religions deal with basic human problems and Buddhism is no exception. As long as we continue to experience the basic human sufferings of birth, disease, old age, and death, there is no question whether it is suitable or not as a remedy. Inner peace is the key. In that state of mind you can face difficulties with calm and reason. The teachings of love, kindness and tolerance, the conduct of non-violence, and especially the Buddhist theory that all things are relative can be a source of that inner peace.
While the essence of Buddhism does not change, superficial cultural aspects will change. But how they will change in a particular place, we cannot say. This evolves over time. When Buddhism first came from India to countries like Sri lanka or Tibet, it gradually evolved, and in time a unique tradition arose. This is also happening in the West, and gradually Buddhism may evolve with Western culture.
Of course, what distinguishes the contemporary situation from past transmissons of Buddhism is that almost the entire array of traditions that evolved elsewhere are now accessible to anyone who is interested. And it is in such a context that I welcome this new edition of Bhikkhu ~Naa.namoli's celebrated English translation of the Path of Purification. I offer my prayers that readers, wherever they are, may find in it advice and inspiration to develop that inner peace that will contribute to creating a happier and more peaceful world.>
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastu ... sage/35752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Dalai Lama's opinion of Vissudhimagga

Post by Ben »

Thanks Chris
When did His Holiness write the above?
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

:anjali:
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Ben,

Nina van Gorkom put the quote in a post on Dhammastudy List onThu Aug 26, 2004 (link above). I found it when I was browsing for info for the Jhanas in the Visuddimagga thread. :smile:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Cooran for the interesting post.

I had noticed that B. Alan Wallace refers to the Visuddhimagga quite a lot in his books and talks.
In the second of these two interviews (numbers 62 and/or 63) about the Shamatha Project here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/BuddhistGeeksPodcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he specifically compares Tibetan Shamatha and the Visuddhimaga Jhanas.

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

Came across this and thought it may be of interest:

Message from His Holiness the Dalai Lama. . . .
It really does not say much.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt

Well, you're right. But none the less, it is still interesting that he did say something about the Vism.

Hi Chris

I knew you got it from DSG, I was just interested in the provenance of the article and the circumstances of its origin.
If that is unknowable at this point - don't worry about it. its probably the archivist in me that is expressing itself.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks Cooran for the interesting post.

I had noticed that B. Alan Wallace refers to the Visuddhimagga quite a lot in his books and talks.
In the second of these two interviews (numbers 62 and/or 63) about the Shamatha Project here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/BuddhistGeeksPodcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he specifically compares Tibetan Shamatha and the Visuddhimaga Jhanas.

Metta
Mike
Here is Wallace's broadside against vipassana practice: http://www.tricycle.com/a-mindful-balance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not impressed.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:Hi Tilt

Well, you're right. But none the less, it is still interesting that he did say something about the Vism.
He says all sorts of things about all sorts of things. Don't get me wrong I like and admire the DL, but I wonder if he read the book, or any number of books he has written forwards to.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Tilt
I wonder if that (Wallace's) article was written before his "An attention revolution". My wife brought home his An attention revolution from the "Mind and its potential" conference in Sydney earlier this year. It is predominantly focused on tibetan shmatha. Despite his glowing appraisal by his peers I found it a real disappointment. Couldn't get over the constant belittling of Theravada practice.
Anyway...
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, I guess it's the Jhana chapters of the Visuddhimagga that Wallace agrees with in what I've read and listened to...

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I wonder if that (Wallace's) article was written before his "An attention revolution". My wife brought home his An attention revolution from the "Mind and its potential" conference in Sydney earlier this year. It is predominantly focused on tibetan shmatha. Despite his glowing appraisal by his peers I found it a real disappointment. Couldn't get over the constant belittling of Theravada practice.
From the Wallace point of view, it is just the usual sectarian crap of the Gelugs are the true Buddhists who have it right and everyone else? Well, they mean well, but....

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I wonder if that (Wallace's) article was written before his "An attention revolution".
2008 for the Tricycle interview and 2006 for the book.
Couldn't get over the constant belittling of Theravada practice.
Why would you expect anything different, given that the Theravada is hinayana and has not got things quite right? Get me cranky enough and I might go through the interview as I did on the obviously defunct Grey Forum.

Sönam

Post by Sönam »

hello tiltbillings, ... if vajrayana teachings are so "ignorant" why to be so irritated ?

may you found happiness and appeasement !

:namaste:
Sönam
no hope ... no fear
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I would not DREAM of speaking for Tilt, Sonam....
But I think what you are seeing as annoyance is in fact a healthy Theravadin reaction to assumptions of Hinayana inferiority..

My own personal view is that Tenzing Gyatso's view of the Vissudhimagga should not be rejected out of hand. It is as interesting as that of any intelligent person who has pondered the points it makes. No more, no less.