Pali subforum

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Modus.Ponens

Pali subforum

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hello

I would like to sugest that the pali subforum get out of the Classical Mahavihara category. Ben said that when posting there:

" (...) all answers should present references from either Pali language texts or expositions from scholars representative of the Mahavihara tradition. Any post that fails to comply with these guidelines may disappear without warning."

The pali language subforum shouldn't be restricted to the opinion of Mahavihara scholars. Modern scholars also have valid opinions.

Metta
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ben

Re: Pali subforum

Post by Ben »

Thanks Modus Ponens

We will take your suggestion on board and consider it.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Modus Ponems said: The pali language subforum shouldn't be restricted to the opinion of Mahavihara scholars. Modern scholars also have valid opinions.
Can you give us an example of where there are differing opinions, and on what?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Hi cooran

This comes in the sequence of the "Anapanasati" discussion on the pali forum. There, bodom says:

"I would say the first two steps in the first tetrad refer specifically to mindfulness OF breathing. There is some doubt regarding the third and fourth steps due to the ambiguity of the term "whole body", whether it refers to the breath body or the physical body. The second, third and fourth tetrads corresponding to feelings, mind and dhammas, are specifically mindfulness WITH breathing .This is supported by Buddhadasa and Analayo who both say that "Awareness of breathing in and out forms the background to each step." See Analayo's Satipatthana commentary along with Buddhadasa's Mindfulness with Breathing."

And I agree. But that does not seem to be the established position of the Mahavihara.

Another type of discussion that might arise is the dating of texts acording to language analysis, which is not apropriate in the Classical forum.

Metta
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Modus Ponems,

I disagree with your reasoning for considering shifting the Pali sub-forum.

I think it should stay where it is.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Modus.Ponens,
Modus.Ponens wrote: This comes in the sequence of the "Anapanasati" discussion on the pali forum. There, bodom says:

"I would say the first two steps in the first tetrad refer specifically to mindfulness OF breathing...."
I would say that that just indicates that the discussion was not on-topic for the Pali Forum. It turned into a discussion about opinions about technique rather than a discussion about the definitions of the words.

In fact, looking at the topic again http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3978 the question really seems to be "how should we interpret this in a practise sense", rather than a question about Pali grammar, and should have been in the meditation section in the first place. Where, of course, it would be appropriate to have discussion like "the literal meaning of the phrase is X, but here's how it seems to be interpreted in practise..."

Metta
Mike