What is conducive to awakening?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Re: What is conducive to awakening?

Postby Nibbida » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Dan74 wrote:A striking example that came up recently in a sutta where the Buddha taught the monks meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, went into a retreat and upon returning discovered that quite a few had committed suicide. The solution? Back to mindfulness of the breath.

Whoops!

Any idea which sutta that is?

Thanks.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Postby Dan74 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Nibbida wrote:
Dan74 wrote:A striking example that came up recently in a sutta where the Buddha taught the monks meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, went into a retreat and upon returning discovered that quite a few had committed suicide. The solution? Back to mindfulness of the breath.

Whoops!

Thanks.

I can't seem to find it. :shrug:

Perhaps some (more) knowledgeable members can help?

Until then treat this as unreliable info (my memory has been known to be dodgy. Apologies, if this is the case.)
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Greetings Dan,

Dan74 wrote:Until then treat this as unreliable info (my memory has been known to be dodgy. Apologies, if this is the case.)

No, it's good. Your synopsis is accurate.

I can't find the sutta just at the moment, but I recall it's towards the end of either the Majjhima or Samyutta Nikayas.

It's often cited as an counter-example to the Buddha's alleged omniscience (the range of which is debatable).

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Nibbida wrote:

Whoops!

Thanks.

Vesali Sutta: At Vesali SN 54.9
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma