No Popular Theravada Bestsellers?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sobeh

Re: No Popular Theravada Bestsellers?

Post by Sobeh »

I almost exclusively use Wisdom Publications; Theravadans are more similar to graduate students than to the general reading public, imo, and to that extent are still a small population unable to make a dedicated storefront financially viable.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

For anyone living in the UK, I recommend Wisdom Books. Their prices are comparable with Amazon and one can order by phone as well as online. They're very friendly and willing to get books in for customers if they don't have them in stock.

http://www.wisdom-books.com/SiteSearchR ... ubmit=+Go+

christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Very interesting. Thank you all for your responses.

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
alan

Post by alan »

Was leafing through that book today, so I have it in mind. The intro sounds more like the result of a corporate marketing team than a real person. Of course his favorite bit is that it shows how much we have in common.
But to the topic: If the book tells you Buddhism is about paying attention while you eat that plum, grooving on the plumness of the plum, and it's all sweet, baby, if you just pay attention to the moment, well then that book will appeal.
alan

Post by alan »

Although I prefer not to peal my plums.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Alan,

Are you referring to Bhikku Bodhi's book, or something else?
alan wrote:Was leafing through that book today, so I have it in mind. The intro sounds more like the result of a corporate marketing team than a real person. Of course his favorite bit is that it shows how much we have in common.
But to the topic: If the book tells you Buddhism is about paying attention while you eat that plum, grooving on the plumness of the plum, and it's all sweet, baby, if you just pay attention to the moment, well then that book will appeal.
Mike
alan

Post by alan »

I was referring to Bhikku Bodhi's book, which you were so nice to recommend, when I spoke of the intro by DL.
The second paragraph was about other books discussed in this thread--sorry if that was not clear.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Alan,
alan wrote:I was referring to Bhikku Bodhi's book, which you were so nice to recommend, when I spoke of the intro by DL.
OK, no problem. I guess I was confused by the terminology and I wasn't sure if you meant the Dalai Lama's Forward, or Bhikkhu Bodhis introductory sections, when you said:
alan wrote:The intro sounds more like the result of a corporate marketing team than a real person. Of course his favorite bit is that it shows how much we have in common.
The Dalai Lama certainly does a lot of Forwards (among all of his other activities...), so I guess it's no surprise that they sound rather mechanical...

Mike
alan

Post by alan »

Sure don't want anyone reading through this to think I disliked BB's intro essays. Loved them. I'm partial to Thanissuro's translations, however, possibly because reading through his "Handful of Leaves" was what turned me on to Theravada in the first place.