Be a monk for a month?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
itchyfeet

Be a monk for a month?

Post by itchyfeet »

Hello,

I've just been on that 'monk for a month' website, it looks quite good, but i was wondering if anyone has done it, and was it worth it. I'm a bit concerned it seems a bit commercial. If anyone has any views on it, it would be appreicated to hear from you.

Kindest regards

Tom.
Cittasanto

Re: Be a monk for a month?

Post by Cittasanto »

hi Tom,
see this topic
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... or+a+month" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Cheers for the link. Its interesting how people view it differently. If one gets ordained for just a month, returns home and then feels like he would like to get ordained again on a more permanent base, will the month ordination hinder that possibilty.
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

itchyfeet wrote:...will the month ordination hinder that possibilty.
I can't imagine how that would be the case; it's probably a great experience for people who are fence-sitting on that very decision.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

no, it is not a higher ordination but a Novice ordination, and even if it was a higher ordination you can ordain at that level up to 7 times, I don't think there is a limit for novice oridination.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill