Bhikkhu Bodhi is teaching Pali:

http://audio.buddhistdoor.com/eng/play/1136
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Re: Pali course as audio files

Postby Ben » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:35 am

Ain't he great?
I was just thinking over the last day that I would like to have the time to go through his audio pali course.
Thank you Kare for sharing.
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Maitri » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:59 pm

I listen to this course and his other teachings when I am at work. Sometimes I need something to refresh my mind and his talk are great for that.

Also thanks to the OP, the site you link'd to is great!
May all beings be well, happy, calm, and at ease.
Maitri

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for the link, Kare!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby meindzai » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I got the textbook and I started to go through this course some years ago, but found it to be extremely dense after the first chapter. I started the Desilva Primer he recommends as background, and got through about 5 chapters of that and fell off.

I don't want to be discouraging, but this is not a "listen and learn" course. Be ready to put some time into studying grammar tables (all 8 cases) and words. You will probably learn something by just listening, but don't expect to be reading or translating Suttas on your own without some real effort. The exercise in the last chapter of the book is to translate the dhammacakkappavattana sutta which is pretty cool.

If anybody is interested, I did find quite a few resources, including a flash card program and small word processor that support easy entry of pali characters. I believe I got most of them here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/ in the files section.
meindzai

Postby Kare » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Personally I prefer Warder. But it is also useful to look into other tutors. And different people have different preferences as for tutors and learning aids, so let's appreciate every new road that can lead into the study of Pali.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Return to Pali