Pali course as audio files

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Kare

Pali course as audio files

Post by Kare »

Bhikkhu Bodhi is teaching Pali:

http://audio.buddhistdoor.com/eng/play/1136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ben

Re: Pali course as audio files

Post by Ben »

Ain't he great?
I was just thinking over the last day that I would like to have the time to go through his audio pali course.
Thank you Kare for sharing.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

I listen to this course and his other teachings when I am at work. Sometimes I need something to refresh my mind and his talk are great for that.

Also thanks to the OP, the site you link'd to is great!
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks for the link, Kare!
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

I got the textbook and I started to go through this course some years ago, but found it to be extremely dense after the first chapter. I started the Desilva Primer he recommends as background, and got through about 5 chapters of that and fell off.

I don't want to be discouraging, but this is not a "listen and learn" course. Be ready to put some time into studying grammar tables (all 8 cases) and words. You will probably learn something by just listening, but don't expect to be reading or translating Suttas on your own without some real effort. The exercise in the last chapter of the book is to translate the dhammacakkappavattana sutta which is pretty cool.

If anybody is interested, I did find quite a few resources, including a flash card program and small word processor that support easy entry of pali characters. I believe I got most of them here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the files section.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Personally I prefer Warder. But it is also useful to look into other tutors. And different people have different preferences as for tutors and learning aids, so let's appreciate every new road that can lead into the study of Pali.
Mettāya,
Kåre