500,000 upasika ordination in Thailand. Real ordination?

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation
Brizzy

Re: 500,000 upasika ordination in Thailand. Real ordination?

Postby Brizzy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:44 am

cooran wrote:Worth bearing in mind when we minimise the lowering of standards for Bhikkhus from the level the Buddha taught:

'Anagatavamsa' " The Sermon of the Chronicle to be "
""'How will it occur? After my decease there will first be five disappearances. What five? The disappearance of attainment (in the Dispensation), the disappearance of proper conduct, the disappearance of learning, the disappearance of the outward form, the disappearance
of the relics. There will be these five disappearances.
................................................................................................

'This, Sariputta, is called the disappearance of the outward form. """

A short time indeed does the Buddha's sasana last.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastu ... sage/24257

with metta
Chris

Hi cooran

Not that I dont agree with you about a monks vinaya being of extreme importance, I think this "Apocryphal" work you cited does not lend credence to your argument. A "thousand years"? Where does this come from? are there no longer people who can gain attainments? It sounds almost mahayana in its reading.

:smile:

BlackBird
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby BlackBird » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:22 am

Does anyone know anything about the origins of this 'Anagatavamsa'? Doesn't seem like Buddhavacana to me.

All I can really find is this short synopsis:

This Sinhala recension of the Anagatavamsa, here translated into English for the first time, is but one of several texts forming a genre of Buddhist apocalyptic literature generated by the cult of Maitreya in South and Southeast Asia. It is a prophetic text revealing a rich religious imagination focused upon the advent of the future Buddha in a time when those who have long persevered in the religious quest will gain an opportunity to realize the highest spiritual attainment.

- http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/IDC071/

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

gavesako
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby gavesako » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Such millenial references are found even earlier, for example in the later parts of the Theragatha in the verses of Parapariya. He speaks of the "final age" (pacchima-kala) in which the Dhamma disappears and urges a return to the forest:

http://books.google.com/books?id=0TMsdV ... ya&f=false
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:08 pm

BlackBird wrote:Does anyone know anything about the origins of this 'Anagatavamsa'? Doesn't seem like Buddhavacana to me.

This Sinhala recension of the Anagatavamsa, here translated into English for the first time, is but one of several texts forming a genre of Buddhist apocalyptic literature generated by the cult of Maitreya in South and Southeast Asia. It is a prophetic text revealing a rich religious imagination focused upon the advent of the future Buddha in a time when those who have long persevered in the religious quest will gain an opportunity to realize the highest spiritual attainment.

metta
Jack

Hi Jack,
to link to the post above yours as well, I watched a program a couple of years ago about the Buddhist artefacts in the British Museum from Sri Lanka, and it was mentioned that Sri Lanka was at one time predominantly Mahayana, or Mahasangha (it was a couple of years ago) so this may of infuluenced this text?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 pm

BlackBird wrote:Does anyone know anything about the origins of this 'Anagatavamsa'? Doesn't seem like Buddhavacana to me.

metta
Jack

It is dated to the 14th cent CE, and it pull together a lot of late stuff not found in the suttas and obviously has a Mahayana in influence.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

BlackBird
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby BlackBird » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 am

Cheers guys

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Return to “Open Dhamma”