Buddhism, Bush-walking and Leeches

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
cooran

Buddhism, Bush-walking and Leeches

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Yesterday morning I went with a bush-walking group to do a circuit at Mt. Mee north of Brisbane. It was 13 kilometres - much of it in a steady uphill climb, and we completed it in 3 1/2 rather exhausting hours with two rest breaks for a drink. Many of the group used Poles to assist with the stepping uphill - I'm not sure whether to get any or not.

We went through some soggy areas infested with leeches. Many of the group found leeches on their boots, legs, and heads. I found one in my sock and before I realised another member sprayed it and killed it. When I got home and in the shower I found another one which had been feeding for about an hour and was as thick as my finger. It was still attached and warm water from the shower didn't shift it. I was hesitant to pull it off as I thought that might injure the l'il fella.
Eventually, when it finished its meal, it let go and I captured it in a small box, took it to the local park and released it in a marshy, muddy area a little protected from hunting birds by overhanging branches. The water was too shallow for fish - so perhaps the little being can live in safety.
Seems that if I accept the Buddha's teaching on re-becoming, then I have to live protecting beings that I come into contact with, if possible.

My family think this is a bit weird, but have learned to accept their resident buddhist with something approaching equanimity.

Mt.%20Mee%20-%20Queensland

How to Remove Leeches
http://www.ehow.com/how_4893778_remove-leeches.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Re: Buddhism, Bush-walking and Leeches

Post by Ben »

Well done Chris!
I know I am a source of frustration in this household for not reaching for the insect spray when ants invade!
Good to see I'm not the only 'weird one'!!
I hope you enjoyed your bushwalk.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

And here I thought this was to do, somehow, with George W. Bush and the Republican Party and a compassionate response to them.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hey Tilt...
Stop giving our leeches a bad name!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan

Post by alan »

Ha!
Nice photo, by the way.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Dear Christine,

This is most wonderful. I rejoice in your excellent merit. When human you will have a long life, have pleasing sights, safe and protected, be free of danger. When divine you have a long life, beautiful body, have pleasing soroundings and be pleasing to those around you. Keep up the good work. Without having human and divine births how could one be happy, Christine? How could own things with which to give? Without a long life, when it comes time to penetrate the dhamma how could one have a lifespan long enough to accomplish that? And in the lifetimes that one will hear and practice dhamma how could one have a long life without refraining from killing and injuring creatures, and refraining from ill-will? You have done an excellent deed. You are a true Buddhist. I rejoice in your good merits. Continue living this way and re-arise in heaven, Christine.

Kevin
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thank you for your kind words Kevin. :smile:
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Fede

Post by Fede »

:coffee:

:jawdrop:

O.....K.......

I have to admit, we don't get many leeches in St Albans..... although with climate change so high on the agenda, there's always the possibility..... should make a walk through Verulam Park more interesting......
stalbans121.jpg
stalbans121.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 15064 times
Though I think your landscape is more inspirational......
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Fede,

This is to scare you! The pictures are accurate .... so ..... Beware Climate Change! When they attach, you don't even know they are there. You just feel a tiny itch and discover the li'l being having lunch.

Leech mouth

Normal size leeches

Leech after a full feed

Leech Cartoon

with metta
Chris
Fede

Post by Fede »

Well, I'm not averse to the little critters..... and it seems they have their benefits, so it's not an entirely bad thing....

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2003/july/leech.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3858087.stm
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Virgo wrote: Continue living this way and re-arise in heaven
I would not want that. No "heaven" for me.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

tiltbillings wrote:

Hello Tilt,

Are you claiming to be a Sakadagami or an Anagami?
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/ariyacht.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with curious metta
Chris
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

cooran wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Hello Tilt,

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/ariyacht.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with curious metta
Chris
Perhaps he simply has lower expectations...
http://religiousfreaks.com/2007/04/18/r ... e-to-hell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

Hello Tilt,

with curious metta
Chris
No; just that "heaven" is a waste of time; much prefer the human realm.

general0bvious

Post by general0bvious »

Fede wrote:Well, I'm not averse to the little critters..... and it seems they have their benefits, so it's not an entirely bad thing....

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2003/july/leech.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3858087.stm
They are amazing little critters :) It always brings a smile to my lips when I think about the fact that nature still do many things better than us, despite all the advancements in medical technology ;)