Buddhism, Bush-walking and Leeches

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
meindzai

Re: Buddhism, Bush-walking and Leeches

Post by meindzai »

What I've found interestng about my response to such things is that by extending compassion to these kinds of creatures I am no longer frightened by them. Even the creepiest of creepy crawlies seem to take on a different persona when I consider them as living beings worthy of compassion. I mean, there are certainly some ugly buggers out there, but that's from my human perspective. I'm sure their mates find them quite attractive. :)

-M
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Good thing we don't have them little buggers here. We do have a lot of ticks though. My county was either highest in New York State or for the whole country ( I can't quite remember, though I believe it was in the whole country) in cases of lyme disease, which is caused by deer ticks.

I agree with you meindzai. We should extend metta!

kevin
Last edited by Virgo on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

meindzai wrote:What I've found interestng about my response to such things is that by extending compassion to these kinds of creatures I am no longer frightened by them. Even the creepiest of creepy crawlies seem to take on a different persona when I consider them as living beings worthy of compassion. I mean, there are certainly some ugly buggers out there, but that's from my human perspective. I'm sure their mates find them quite attractive. :)

-M
... and they probably find us quite ugly.
:smile:

Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

But delicious. :tongue:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

cooran wrote:But delicious. :tongue:
Yeah, well ...
Elephant beetle.JPG
Elephant beetle.JPG (83.2 KiB) Viewed 13996 times
This handsome gentleman doesn't find us delicious at all - he's a vegetarian, one to whom the first precept comes quite naturally.
I'm sorry he's a little out of focus, but I only had one hand for the camera because the other was occupied (pun intentional :tongue: ).
Thanks for giving me an excuse to share this with you all, Cooran.
:namaste:
Kim
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

All of that impressive frontage of our Coleoptera friend is, in good part, for, of course, driving away male competitors so that they might have their way the females.
Attachments
rhinofight.jpg
rhinofight.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
rhinosex.jpg
rhinosex.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Clueless Git

Post by Clueless Git »

Ben wrote: know I am a source of frustration in this household for not reaching for the insect spray when ants invade!
Lol!

I do that too Ben - Used to drive the ex-missus Git (upgraded model is well onboard with that kinda thing) and the kiddies up the wall!

Frightening thing was that I used to do 'deals' with our seasonal visitors. Like "keep outta the food stuffs and I make sure no one puts the poison down or pours boiling water on your nest"

I did that just for fun, at first ... It frightened me when it worked! :shock:
Clueless Git

Post by Clueless Git »

cooran wrote:Seems that if I accept the Buddha's teaching on re-becoming, then I have to live protecting beings that I come into contact with, if possible.

with metta
Chris
I think so to Cooran.

M'personal experience is that even those who could'nt give a damn what the buddha taught still get a 'feel good' factor if they dabble in not hurting that which there is no obvious reason not to hurt.

I say that simply 'cos Ben mentioning ants minded me of something ...

The local kiddies used to have 'ant stomping' competitions when the new queens emerged, en-masse, to fly from their nests. I used to distract them by hooking their interest in what the ants were actualy doing and they would stop stomping and watch the ants do their antie stuff instead.

Interesting it was. Kinda like when the delight in ending little lives changed to a delight in watching little lives, with some understanding, it was like the kiddies were experiencing something very buddhist without knowing owt about buddhism at all.
effort

Post by effort »

in wat ram peong there were many ants in khutis so they sell these ( below picture ), we used that and it looks like it works, they said ants didnt like the smell of powder, by the way some days later they used pest control spray and killed many of them.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Some video about Lyme disease in New York State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjjuC66g9lw

Kevin