Theravada Buddhists in the world

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Theravada Buddhists in the world

Post by DNS »

As a former sociology professor, I still like playing with stats, especially demographics. I could not find any list that breaks down the number of Theravada Buddhists in the world, so made my own:

Theravada Buddhists in the World
bodom

Re: Theravada Buddhists in the world

Post by bodom »

Very cool David! :thumbsup: I think most of us Theravadans are very fond of lists. :tongue:

:anjali:
Last edited by bodom on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi David,

It's a nice table, but I suspect that the proportions of Theravada in Australia/Oceania is seriously overestimated at 50%. Down here the majority of Buddhists are immigrants, and the majority of those are from China and Korea, so unlikely to be Theravada. [Of course, many are now Christian, particularly Koreans, but that's another story.].

There is NZ and Australian census data on line and I recall the NZ data going down to Buddhist by ethnicity, but does not distinguish Buddhist sects.

Metta
Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I like it
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks Bodom and Manapa!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that info. Then apparently Oceania is similar to the U.S., with most of the Buddhist numbers coming from immigration. I was just making an unscientific guess with 50% Theravada in Oceania, due to the higher numbers from Oceania here on Dhamma Wheel. :tongue:

In the U.S. about 80% of all Buddhists are from [Far East] Asian immigration and/or the next generations.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, David,
It's good to have the numbers but while we're talking about improvements ... isn't your precision way higher than your accuracy?
(I'm a non-scientist but the scientists around me make a big issue of it whenever stats appear. :stirthepot: )
:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi David

You should be able to extract theravada buddhists from Australian census data. If it is not readily available from Australain Bureau of Statistics website: http://www.abs.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you should contact the ABS to see whether they can give you the information for free. If that is not the case, then an email to the National Library of Australia, http://www.nla.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or one of the State reference libraries Mitchel Library, Sydney: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or State Library of Victoria: http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should answer that request as they will have a full compliment of ABS publications and do free reference requests to the public as part of their charter.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Thanks Ben,

I already took a quick look and see that in the 2006 census, almost 2.2% identified as Buddhist in Australia. Excellent! That is high for a non-Asian country.

Here in the U.S. the census forms still do not ask religious preference so we have to rely on private studies which are usually biased or have poor methodology.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi David

Yes, I should have put a caveat on my last post indicating my suspicion that the number of Theravadins in Australia would be miniscule. Having said that, a few years ago after the ABS had crunched the census data, there were news reports about how Buddhism is the fastest growing religion in Australia (discounting the jedis). Being the smallest recognized religion makes it easy to be the fastest growing!
Apart from my co-practitioners, I know no other Buddhists (let alone Theravadins) here in Tasmania. And my co-practitioners don't even consider themselves as 'Buddhist'! But then, I am a difficult-to-get-along-with bastard so maybe I just scare everyone off!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, Ben,
Ben wrote: Being the smallest recognized religion makes it easy to be the fastest growing!
In much the same way, the Greens are the only party whose vote has never declined from one election to the next - up here in Queensland, anyway.
Ben wrote: Apart from my co-practitioners, I know no other Buddhists (let alone Theravadins) here in Tasmania. And my co-practitioners don't even consider themselves as 'Buddhist'! But then, I am a difficult-to-get-along-with bastard so maybe I just scare everyone off!
I happened to be in Hobart a couple of years ago when the Gyuto monks were visiting and they drew big crowds every day - 30 to 50 for the daily dharma talks and more for the more colourful events - might have been a couple of hundred in the procession for the dissolution of the sand mandala. Admittedly, many would have ben 'just looking' but the interest is definitely there.
I have always thought Aussies are over-represented here because we are often isolated in our practice, but if over 2% of the population is Buddhist and you know more than a hundred people, you almost certainly know a few Buddhists. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:I suspect that the proportions of Theravada in Australia/Oceania is seriously overestimated at 50%. Down here the majority of Buddhists are immigrants, and the majority of those are from China and Korea, so unlikely to be Theravada.
Yes. A look at Buddhanet's World Buddhist Directory might be a useful tool for approximate proportions.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

1 in 20 Buddhists in China and Japan is Theravada? I think that's highly unlikely. I would put it more at 1 to several thousand.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: Yes. A look at Buddhanet's World Buddhist Directory might be a useful tool for approximate proportions.
Yes good idea, the directories can give some indication of the proportions. Many temples and groups will be excluded, but we have no reason to believe that one tradition would be more likely to be excluded than another, thus, supplying something similar to a random sample.

Hi pilgrim,

You're probably right. It is an evolving table that just started today. As I get better information, the numbers will be more accurate. Right now it is a very rough estimate and on the highly optimistic side (for Theravadins). :tongue:
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

For a start, there should be at least a million Theravadins in Xishuangpanna. But still some way off from 50m. :thinking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xishuangba ... Prefecture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

pilgrim wrote:For a start, there should be at least a million Theravadins in Xishuangpanna. But still some way off from 50m. :thinking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xishuangba ... Prefecture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okay, thanks. That and with the additional I "found":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_people ... n_in_China" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Over 23 million Tai people in China, mostly Theravada Buddhist)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(6 million Shan people, mostly Theravada, some living in China)

and we're getting closer to my "conservative" estimate of 33 million Theravada in China. :tongue: