Dhamma and addiction

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Samsara

Dhamma and addiction

Post by Samsara »

Hello people,

This is my first post, im looking forward to expanding my knowledge about Theravada here :)

I have read in a few places that Buddhism sees addiction as immoral, I can see how buying cocaine is immoral because of the awful deal the farmers get....
but I smoke weed everyday, how am i being immoral? :shrug:

Thanks,

Samsara
"Nothing is more important than guarding the mind. Let us constantly keep watch over it, curbing it with mindfulness and vigilance."-Dalai Lama

Please feel free to correct my grammar!
meindzai

Re: Dhamma and addiction

Post by meindzai »

Well, it may not be "immoral" in the sense that you are thinking. Buddhism is a means towards liberation. We practice morality towards that end - not to avoid some sort of divine punishment.

Buddhist morality is called "Sila." It can mean ethics, virtue, morality, precepts, and can even be translated as "habit." It is skillful behavior (good habits) that lead us away from craving/thirst/attachment and towards liberation. One part of the eightfold path is right action, which calls for 5 precepts:

1. I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
2. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
3. I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.
4. I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
5. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

The last of these is not a moral precept in the sense that it is necessarily wrong doing - but it can and does lead to carelessness, which might involve breaking one of the other precepts. It also will make it impossible to practice Right Mindfulness, and I certainly don't see a stoned person ever attaining any state of Right Concentration. I could keep going on this theme!

Another interpretation is that it's not so much about rigid morality but actions that take us away from clarity. I know some that take the 5th precept even further and refrain from anything that can muddle or rattle the mind including certain types of "intoxicating" media, television, etc.. I think of the 5th as having a mind that can think clearly.

-M
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

It is against the precept against the consumption of sloth-inducing substances, as such substances make the Path even more difficult to follow than it is while sober. In this sense the better word is not immoral, but unwholesome. The act is unwholesome because of its effects on your ability to practice.

It isn't immoral the way that "God's Law" is immoral, which is to say the unwholesomeness is not according to any divine fiat but rather is a matter of cause and effect. My view is that it is a Moral Particularism, rather than Moral Generalism or Moral Absolutism.
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Oh ok, that makes much more sense. I can totally understand stoned people not being able to be mindful! I certainly cant past 7pm when i have a spliff.

Does anyone know if Dhamma addresses what to do if you are addicted to something? (other than just stopping obviously) God i hate addiction.
"Nothing is more important than guarding the mind. Let us constantly keep watch over it, curbing it with mindfulness and vigilance."-Dalai Lama

meindzai

Post by meindzai »

It's a beast isn't it? I know there's some information out there on Buddhism and addiction, not so much from the Suttas but from modern writers. Funnily enough when I did a search it came back to a previous Dhamma Wheel thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I struggled with an addiction to sleeping pills for years. At first I took them to sleep and later just because I enjoyed them, sometimes in mega-doses along with alchohol. I probably should be dead. Anyway, during this time I did lots of meditation, sometimes while sober, sometimes not, and I put the other aspects of the practice into use as much as possible. I really dug in to find out what the root causes were for me taking the stuff and kind of dig them out. The suffering as a result of my behavior became more and more apparent through my practice, and I just got completely disgusted with myself. One night, several years ago, on a new years eve I did several hours of meditation, then did a "formal" precepts ceremony (by myself) in front of an altar, and swore off the stuff I was doing. I had a few nights where I didn't sleep so well because I was used to being chemically dependent for sleep, but I persisted and it was totally worth it.

-M
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Samsara, all,

Addiction is a form of Tanha (Craving), which is the root of all suffering. It is Tanha in all its forms which is the cause of suffering.

Tanha (Craving)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... tanha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Second Noble Truth - The Noble Truth of the Origin of dukkha dukkha samudaya ariya sacca
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Samsara
Here is a list of resources you might find useful: http://www.vridhamma.org/Customsearchre ... ID%3A9#954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep in mind that mere intellectual understanding of the Dhamma is not enough. For it to be of any real benefit to you, you will need to engage with practice.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Here's a video clip of Shinzen Young talking about how he broke a cannabis addiction after going to a Goenka-style vipassana retreat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N7A5kAESTQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wind

Post by Wind »

The Buddha rarely describe addiction or attachments to sensual pleasures as immoral but just unskillful. Unskillful means it will lead to further dukkha (stress/suffering).
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Oh brilliant, cheers guys, I shall ponder.
The suffering as a result of my behavior became more and more apparent through my practice, and I just got completely disgusted with myself. One night, several years ago, on a new years eve I did several hours of meditation, then did a "formal" precepts ceremony (by myself) in front of an altar, and swore off the stuff I was doing. I had a few nights where I didn't sleep so well because I was used to being chemically dependent for sleep, but I persisted and it was totally worth it.
That is excellent. I feel as though i often have the disgust....but less of the following-through will power. Im really hoping with continued practise i shall find the cravings easier to deal with, with mindfulness. My problem is i don't catch it early enough and before i know it i don't care about giving up, i don't care about the long term suffering, its highly annoying.

A retreat sounds like the best way to do it!! Sitting in my tiny flat with a depressed boyfriend doesn't help (not that there is any excuses other than my unwillingness to bear the situation) Bet they are hundreds of pounds though :x

Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Samsara

If its any consolation - you're not Robinson Caruso, so to speak!
Plenty of our members here have had pasts that involved long-term use or addiction to various substances. And many of our members have had great success with freeing themselves from addiction as a result of their Dhamma practice.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Samsara wrote: Bet they are hundreds of pounds though :x
If you're refering to the price of the retreats, you are mistaken. The Goenka retreats are based on donation. When you do a Goenka retreat, yours is already paid by a previous meditator. And, if you feel you want to give a donation for a future person to have a retreat, then you give :smile:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Samsara wrote:
That is excellent. I feel as though i often have the disgust....but less of the following-through will power. Im really hoping with continued practise i shall find the cravings easier to deal with, with mindfulness. My problem is i don't catch it early enough and before i know it i don't care about giving up, i don't care about the long term suffering, its highly annoying.

A retreat sounds like the best way to do it!! Sitting in my tiny flat with a depressed boyfriend doesn't help (not that there is any excuses other than my unwillingness to bear the situation) Bet they are hundreds of pounds though :x
[/quote]

As has been pointed out, that is not necessarily the case. So definately look into it. Just the change in environment alone will probably inspire you to look at life in a different way. Any change to just get yourself around healthier people. Take yoga classes or something. I know being around skinny bendy people tends to make me want to be healthier. :)

-M
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Ben wrote:Hi Samsara

If its any consolation - you're not Robinson Caruso, so to speak!
Plenty of our members here have had pasts that involved long-term use or addiction to various substances. And many of our members have had great success with freeing themselves from addiction as a result of their Dhamma practice.
metta

Ben

Thanks Ben, that actually helps alot!

Ive looked up Goenka retreats and couldn't find a website, just alot of stories of how awful it was....so i worry.
Im sure if i stay a few times at Cittaviveka a few times they will let me stay for a week or something. Its all on hold anyway to a certain extent because of my final exams and dissertation i have to hand in in less than a month *stress*

amethystyoga

Post by amethystyoga »

Hi: As a newcomer to Buddhism , I have limited insight and experience with how it may help with an addiction. I can see how improved self care,mindfulness and meditation may help. The only solution to my alcohol dependence almost six years ago was a 12 step program AA. I also found through the meetings of AA some people that practice buddhism who shared their experience, strength and hope on getting sober. I also recommend a book called 12 Steps on Buddha's Path. Addiction is a cunning, baffling and powerful disease. :anjali: