What is conducive to awakening?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nibbida

Re: What is conducive to awakening?

Postby Nibbida » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Dan74 wrote:A striking example that came up recently in a sutta where the Buddha taught the monks meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, went into a retreat and upon returning discovered that quite a few had committed suicide. The solution? Back to mindfulness of the breath.

Whoops!

Any idea which sutta that is?

Thanks.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Nibbida wrote:
Dan74 wrote:A striking example that came up recently in a sutta where the Buddha taught the monks meditation on the repulsiveness of the body, went into a retreat and upon returning discovered that quite a few had committed suicide. The solution? Back to mindfulness of the breath.

Whoops!

Thanks.

I can't seem to find it. :shrug:

Perhaps some (more) knowledgeable members can help?

Until then treat this as unreliable info (my memory has been known to be dodgy. Apologies, if this is the case.)
_/|\_

Paul Davy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Davy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Greetings Dan,

Dan74 wrote:Until then treat this as unreliable info (my memory has been known to be dodgy. Apologies, if this is the case.)

No, it's good. Your synopsis is accurate.

I can't find the sutta just at the moment, but I recall it's towards the end of either the Majjhima or Samyutta Nikayas.

It's often cited as an counter-example to the Buddha's alleged omniscience (the range of which is debatable).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Nibbida wrote:

Whoops!

Thanks.

Vesali Sutta: At Vesali SN 54.9
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:anjali:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”