National Traditions VS Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kim OHara

Re: National Traditions VS Buddhism

Post by Kim OHara »

Roath wrote: Dear Kim,
I think : blaming things/people worth blaming (unreasonable practices in the past/primitive period like burning girls/sheep to offer to God, asking God for things to happen or to send you things, all these kinds of similar stuff ect.) is alright and admiring people worth admiring (like praising the Buddhas) is also alright. I mean I wouldn’t bother to do such and advice my loved ones to do such since life is too short to walk on a wrong path, when it comes to endless cycle of birth and death? Maybe I’m too self-opinionated sometimes!
Hi, Roath,
As a matter of principle, I don't think it's fair to blame anyone - here and now, or eons ago - for doing the best they could according to their understanding. You don't blame the toddler for thinking the cat would like to swim with the goldfish in the aquarium; you don't blame the caveman for thinking thunder is the voice of a deity, or even for offering the deity the most beautiful girl in the tribe.
That doesn't mean that I approve of such actions, of course. I think I know better than the toddler or the caveman - though maybe I’m too self-opinionated sometimes, too. :tongue:
:namaste:
Kim
Roath

Post by Roath »

Dear oceanmen : Thank you for your help with heaven-hell justification.

Dear Kim : I wouldn’t bother to blame the said toddler for s/he is too young to understand things and how to deal with things properly but I would try and advice him/her how to do so as much as I can if I could.

If the caveman gets to ask me as an honest observer how his deed is considered, then I would faithfully inform him with metta and loving-kindness that what he’s been doing is not at all correct because by offering the deity the most beautiful girls in the tribe won’t help him do away with his own defilement deeply rooted in his mind, but instead it’s one of his wrongdoing or unwholesome deed accumulation which will bring him even worse results next life (deeper ignorance).
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...If the caveman gets to ask me as an honest observer how his deed is considered, then I would faithfully inform him with metta and loving-kindness that what he’s been doing is not at all correct because by offering the deity the most beautiful girls in the tribe won’t help him do away with his own defilement deeply rooted in his mind, but instead it’s one of his wrongdoing or unwholesome deed accumulation which will bring him even worse results next life (deeper ignorance).
Dealing with the here and now (present) is all we're (reasonably) certain of...anything (and everything) else is speculation...and telling other people such things only validates their thinking (and rightly so) that it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world...what you hold to be valid, and true, doesn't necessarily mean it is...following one's own path is fine, but selling it to others isn't...
Wind

Post by Wind »

Roath wrote:Dear David,
You said “These are not unreasonable”. Can you show me their credible/rational reasons behind them? Besides showing respect and gratitude, what else?
Hi Roath

David mentioned that they are also not Buddhist. So that's the most important thing to know. So your friend can disregard these things in reference to Buddhism.

Sounds like your friend has some misconception of Buddhism, so I would suggest for him if he is really interested to read some of our introductory sources on Theravada Buddhism on the top of this forum. :smile:

From my personal experience, the best way to learn about Buddhism isn't from observing what other "Buddhist" are doing but rather to read actually what the Buddha taught which is recorded in the Pali Canon. And then to practice and find out if it's true. There will be a few subjects that are not easily verifiable such as rebirth, heaven, hell etc. But through your progress in following the Noble Eightfold path, you will come to some discernment and faith in the Buddha's words. And if you can reach enlightenment then all doubts is gone.
cooran

Post by cooran »

wind said: From my personal experience, the best way to learn about Buddhism isn't from observing what other "Buddhist" are doing but rather to read actually what the Buddha taught which is recorded in the Pali Canon. And then to practice and find out if it's true.
Well said, wind! :clap: The Buddha said "Ehipassiko - Come and see for yourself".

"Ehipassiko constitutes an open invitation to all to come and see, to inspect, to scrutinize and if need be, even to criticize the Dhamma before accepting it because there is nothing mythical or mysterious about it. The Dhamma is pure and crystal clear. It is as pure as solid gold. The Buddha Himself declared: "Do not accept what I say through mere respect towards me. Just as purity of gold is ascertained by melting or rubbing on a touchstone, likewise the Dhamma should be accepted only after very close scrutiny." This fearless assertion of allowing the teaching to be closely examined marks the greatness of the Buddha and the unwavering truth of the sublime Dhamma."
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---