Super Bowl!!!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Super Bowl!!!

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 pm

So whose watching the Super Bowl today? I know i am! Go Cardinals!

Hey all you Rugby fans, ya'll cant hit like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCP8BapFhew

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Super Bowl!!!

Postby Jechbi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 pm

I'm actually going to play some football beforehand. Wish me luck.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Jechbi

Postby Tex » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:08 pm

I know the Steelers are heavy favorites but the team with the better quarterback usually wins this game, I think the Cardinals will take it.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Tex wrote:I know the Steelers are heavy favorites but the team with the better quarterback usually wins this game, I think the Cardinals will take it.

The steelers have enough Super Bowl titles its the cardinals turn. Its gonna be tough and i wont be surprised if the steelers come out and run all over them but the cardinals are tough and surprised a lot of people this year.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby genkaku » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:21 pm

My younger son and I bet a buck on the game. He picked the Cardinals so I was stuck with the Steelers.
genkaku

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 pm

genkaku wrote:My younger son and I bet a buck on the game. He picked the Cardinals so I was stuck with the Steelers.

Looks like your gonna be out a dollar. :lol:

bodom

Postby genkaku » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:25 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:
genkaku wrote:My younger son and I bet a buck on the game. He picked the Cardinals so I was stuck with the Steelers.

Actually, I'm more concerned that I might win. I like rooting for the underdog.
genkaku

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:49 pm

genkaku wrote:
bodom_bad_boy wrote:

Actually, I'm more concerned that I might win. I like rooting for the underdog.

Me too, I hope the cardinals win but the squeelers are not gonna make it easy.

bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:29 pm

no your right rugby players don't they hit like this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jULWyiSNM ... re=related

and don't need protection to take a slap

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H4lXwgC-9 ... re=related

shame NFL players are too chicken to play unprotected like the rest of the world and are scared they may actually have contact and ruin those nice beauty treatments
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Manapa wrote:no your right rugby players don't they hit like this

shame NFL players are too chicken to play unprotected like the rest of the world and are scared they may actually have contact and ruin those nice beauty treatments

Yeah i seen em they aint nothin to get excited about. Its too bad that the rest of the world doesnt get as excited for rugby they way they do for the NFL Super Bowl.

bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:02 pm

quite impressive 6 teams taking part in 2007, 4 in 2003, and 6 in 1999 WOW
Rugby has how many teams for their world cups?
20 qualified out of 80 teams in 1999
20 qualified out of 65 in 2003
and 20 qualified out of 91 in 2007

NFL is world wide for sure and not just big in :quote: america :quote: :cookoo:

bodom_bad_boy wrote:

Yeah i seen em they aint nothin to get excited about. Its too bad that the rest of the world doesnt get as excited for rugby they way they do for the NFL Super Bowl.

This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Manapa wrote:quite impressive 6 teams taking part in 2007, 4 in 2003, and 6 in 1999 WOW

NFL is world wide for sure and not just big in :quote: america :quote: :cookoo:

bodom_bad_boy wrote:

I have no idea what your talking about haha. Who qualified for what? No one knows rugby here. Its all about the NFL baby!!!
bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Manapa wrote:quite impressive 6 teams taking part in 2007, 4 in 2003, and 6 in 1999 WOW

the IFAF World Cup teams numbers

the rugby world cup qualified teams and teams who tryed to qualify numbers

For world wide excitement of American Football to be guaged it must take a math genius!
Rugby is a world wide Sport not just in one country who thinks it is the world so your claim
Its too bad that the rest of the world doesnt get as excited for rugby they way they do for the NFL Super Bowl.

is false
Last edited by Cittasanto on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:24 pm

:goodpost:

bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:26 pm

just edited it for easier reading

but

With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:30 pm

Most Popular Sports
What are the most popular sports worldwide?

Football (Soccer) ranks at the top of a majority of the credible lists published.

Additional Answers

"Most popular" could mean "most watched", "most played" or "most revenue-generating."

Based on the variable definition of "most popular" the following observations apply:

The most played sport in the world is FOOTBALL.

Based on the number and size of stadiums around the world, the number of people who wear football merchandise, number of people who are aware of football, and the number of leagues/tournaments worldwide (The WORLD CUP, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, THE SOUTH AMERICAN CUP, THE AMERICAN CUP, THE ASIAN CUP, 70 English league teams, 40 Italian league teams, 40 Spanish league teams) football ranks at the top of the list regardless the definition of "most popular".

Rugby is very popular in many former English colonies (with the noteable exception of the United States) and carries a large following, however participation rates fall below that of football.
Most Frequently Cited Ranked Lists

1) Football. 3.3-3.5 Billion Fans. (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas,etc)
2) Cricket 2-3. Billion Fans. (India,U.K,Pakistan,Asia,Australia,etc)
3) Field Hockey. 2-2.2 Bilion Fans. (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
4) Tennis. Around 1 Billion Fans. (Europe, Americas, Asia)
5) Volleyball Around 900 Million Fans. (Asia, Erope, Americas, Australia)
6) Table Tennis Around 900 Million Fans. (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
7) Baseball Around 500 Million Fans. (U.S, Japan, Cuba, Dom rep)
8) Golf Around 400 Million Fans. (U.S, Canada, Europe)
9) Gridiron (american football) 390-410 Million Fans. (U.S mainly)
10) Basketball Not more than 400M Fans. (U.S, Canada mainly)

Football
Cricket
Tennis
Gymnastics
Swimming
Cycling
Karate
Basketball
Field Hockey
Baseball

See Related Links
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket for more on cricket popularity.

Wheres rugby?

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 pm

And another list, more recent events:

1. 2006 World Cup Final (300 million viewers)
2. Euro 2004 Soccer Final (153 million viewers)
3. 2004 Olympic Games: opening ceremony (127 million viewers)
4. 2004 Olympic Games: closing ceremony (96 million viewers)
5. 2004 Super Bowl (95 million viewers)
6. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 100m metres (87 million viewers)
7. 2003 Champions League (67 million viewers)
8. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 200m freestyle swimming (66 million viewers)
9. 2004 Formula One: Monaco Grand Prix (59 million viewers)
10. 2004 Basketball: NBA finals (25 million viewers)

Again no rugby. Super Bowl number 5.

Heres another:

Super Bowl, the world’s most watched live TV sports event in 2007

Initiative Sports Futures, published the report showing the top 10 live TV events for 2007, drawn from a pre-selected list of 15 events viewed worldwide and chosen for both their sporting importance and commercial value.

The report says an average live global audience of 97 million people watched the Indianapolis Colts defeat the Chicago Bears.

Following the NFL Super Bowl in second place was Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix, followed by the UEFA Champions League Final. The IRB World Cup Final came in fourth place, followed by World Athletics Championships; MLB World Series; IIHF World Men’s Handball Championship Final; US Masters (Final Day); Wimbledon, and the ICC World Twenty20 Championship Final.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/16337 ... nt-in-2007

It doesn't take a math genious to figure out the worldwide popularity of a sport. Just check television ratings.

bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 pm

and that proves what, superbowl is a national sport in a nation with how many people?
I am not saying AF isn't popular in America, just that it is played by a whole bunch of bubble boys who couldn't take a proper hit, I can drive a car into a wall at 40MPH and survive with the right protection fitted in the car, I could also survive a 90mph car crash with the right protection, doesn't mean I could handle that force without the protection.
if you want to go into statistics I'll stick to the ones that are later analysis from forms and participation.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Greetings,

If my experience is anything to go by, very few people in Australia care about the Super Bowl.

This one however has attracted marginally more interest simply because the kicker for one of the sides is Ben Graham, a former Australian Rules Footballer.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:08 am

Super bowl? Pooper bowl.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Next

Return to Lounge