Similarities

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
oceanmen

Similarities

Post by oceanmen »

what does theravada and mahayana and zen have in common?
whats the common ground?

mainly trying to know the "common ground" and similarities....

thanks

metta
tiltbillings

Re: Similarities

Post by tiltbillings »

try this: http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... hayana.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

thank you

metta
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

There's a wikipedia article on exactly this question - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Poin ... e_Mahāyāna
It includes Rahula's statement plus background and extensions.
I forgot what it was called but googling "unifying Mahayana Theravada" found it along with some 13 000 more results. Enjoy!
:namaste:
Kim
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

thank you for the wikepedia link
just trying to achieve non-duality by seeing oneness
not sure i making any sense but trying to

lots of metta
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

You might also enjoy Ajahn Brahm's Which yana? Hahayana!.
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

oceanmen wrote:thank you for the wikepedia link
just trying to achieve non-duality by seeing oneness
not sure i making any sense but trying to

lots of metta
Anyone can talk the talk, but it takes some serious practice time to learn to walk the walk.
_/|\_
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Moggalana wrote:You might also enjoy Ajahn Brahm's Which yana? Hahayana!.
I second that recommendation. This talk really helped me to sort out some of this stuff, especially some of the "inadvertent" ant-Theravada sentiments of my Mahayana peers.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
oceanmen

Post by oceanmen »

thank you tiltbilings...

The World Buddhist Sangha Council was first convened by Theravadins in Sri Lanka in 1966 with the hope of bridging differences and working together. The first convention was attended by leading monks, from many countries and sects, Mahaayaana as well as Theravaada.
(Contributed by Stephen Evans) The following, written by Ven. Walpola Rahula was approved unanimously.

Basic Points Unifying The Theravaada and the Mahaayaana

1. The Buddha is our only Master.

2. We take refuge in the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha.

3. We do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a God.

4. Following the example of the Buddha, who is the embodiment of Great Compassion (mahaa-karu.naa) and Great Wisdom (mahaa- praj~naa), we consider that the purpose of life is to develop compassion for all living beings without discrimination and to work for their good, happiness, and peace; and to develop wisdom leading to the realization of Ultimate Truth.

5. We accept the Four Noble Truths, nameley Dukkha, the Arising of Dukkha, the Cessation of Dukkha, and the Path leading to the Cessation of Dukkha; and the universal law of cause and effect as taught in the pratiitya-samutpaada (Conditioned Genesis or Dependent Origination).

6. We understand, according to the teaching of the Buddha, that all conditioned things (sa.mskaara) are impermanent (anitya) and dukkha, and that all conditioned and unconditioned things (dharma) are without self (anaatma).

7. We accept the Thirty-seven Qualities conducive to Enlightenment (bodhipak.sa-dharma) as different aspects of the Path taught by the Buddha leading to Enlightenment.

8. There are three ways of attaining bodhi or Enlightenment, according to the ability and capacity of each individual: namely as a disciple (sraavaka), as a Pratyeka-Buddha and as a Samyak-sam-Buddha (perfectly and Fully Enlightened Buddha). We accept it as the highest, noblest, and most heroic to follow the career of a Bodhisattva and to become a Samyak-sam-Buddha in order to save others.

9. We admit that in different countries there are differences with regard to the life of Buddhist monks, popular Buddhist beliefs and practices, rites and ceremonies, customs and habits. These external forms and expressions should not be confused with the essential teachings of the Buddha.

Source: Walpola Rahula; The Heritage of the Bhikkhu; (New York, Grove Press, 1974); pp. 100, 1137-138.
ground

Post by ground »

oceanmen wrote:thank you tiltbilings...

The World Buddhist Sangha Council was first convened by Theravadins in Sri Lanka in 1966 with the hope of bridging differences and working together. The first convention was attended by leading monks, from many countries and sects, Mahaayaana as well as Theravaada.
(Contributed by Stephen Evans) The following, written by Ven. Walpola Rahula was approved unanimously.

Basic Points Unifying The Theravaada and the Mahaayaana

This is certainly a masterpiece of political correctness ;)