Do you think you ever met Arahant?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dan74

Re: Do you think you ever met Arahant?

Post by Dan74 »

Ben wrote:
Dan74 wrote:If that person is indeed close to arahatship, then placing your trust in him or her and worshiping them as a living embodiment of the ideal one is striving toward may actually be really helpful for practice (e.g. guru devotion).
I'll have to disagree with you on that one Dan.
kind regards

Ben
No worries!

Here's a good article on the subject:

http://viewonbuddhism.org/spiritual_teacher_guru.html
_/|\_
plwk

Post by plwk »

How does an Arahant look like?
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

They look like you plwk.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

If there is anybody who thinks he or she has ever met an Arahant I would be curious to know why he or she didn't stay with "him" or "her"?

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

What do you mean by "stay with " acinteyyo ?
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

PeterB wrote:What do you mean by "stay with " acinteyyo ?
stay with "him or her" in order to practice, learn how to end suffering and take advice
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

You mean become a monk or nun ?
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

no
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

BlackBird wrote:
Wind wrote:But it is rather discouraging that none of us have met one with full confidence
It might be helpful to remember that monastics are bound by the Vinaya not to speak of their attainments with lay people.

metta
Jack
Good post, Jack.

It may also be helpful to remember we have a few monastics on this very board....

:anjali:

Annapurna
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

acinteyyo wrote:no
In that case I am not sure what you mean.
I have met someone as I said, that many believe to be an Arahant, and It seems to me that he fits all the descriptions.
I am inclined to accept that he might be. Other than on occasion sitting at his feet I am not sure how I can "stay" with him, apart from in the sense of seeing him as an inspiration. Which I certainly do.
When I back at home,or even when with him, he cant sit on the cushion for me. Or eat for me, or go to the loo for me, or relate for me.
He is an inspiration to attempt to do those things in a mindful way.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

PeterB wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:no
In that case I am not sure what you mean.
I have met someone as I said, that many believe to be an Arahant, and It seems to me that he fits all the descriptions.
I am inclined to accept that he might be. Other than on occasion sitting at his feet I am not sure how I can "stay" with him, apart from in the sense of seeing him as an inspiration. Which I certainly do.
When I back at home,or even when with him, he cant sit on the cushion for me. Or eat for me, or go to the loo for me, or relate for me.
He is an inspiration to attempt to do those things in a mindful way.
I just think, if I knew that I met an arahant, I would try to practice under his guidance until the point where guidance would not be necessary anymore. Of course he cant practice for you, but isn't it advantageous to have an arahant around as a teacher instead of practicing on your own? It sounds to me like if someone who seriously practices the dhamma by meeting an enlightend one says: "Okay I met an enligthend one, but I prefer practicing at home." Then I would call his motivation and intention into question. You know what I mean?

best wishes, acinteyyo
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

The Arahant must be willing to accept "disciples"...
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The particular person in question ( whether Arahant or not ) can be visited anytime..he is about 40 minutes away by car from here.
I dont get the question.
Even if he is an Arahant he can only teach what he is teaching at any given time.
He doesnt hold secret classes in Arahanthood. He just teaches Dhamma to all who come.
What he definately is , is a Theravadin monk.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Annapurna,
Annapurna wrote:The Arahant must be willing to accept "disciples"...
Not necessarily... there's a pacceka-buddha that doesn't have disciples.

Being an arahant doesn't necessarily guarantee excellent communication skills.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

PeterB wrote:The particular person in question ( whether Arahant or not ) can be visited anytime..he is about 40 minutes away by car from here.
I dont get the question.
Even if he is an Arahant he can only teach what he is teaching at any given time.
He doesnt hold secret classes in Arahanthood. He just teaches Dhamma to all who come.
What he definately is , is a Theravadin monk.
So the question then is quite simple. If you think the person in question is an arahant why didn't you stay there? Is it so difficult to answer this question?