Different Spiritual States

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Different Spiritual States

Postby TheWaiting » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 am

Ive heard of several different spiritual states which buddhist aspire to and seem very distinct from eachother but their specific differences seem a bit fuzzy too me. Among them are buddhas, arahant, bodhisattvas, and I beleive a few others. Can someone please clearly explain these too me. Both what they mean and their relation to one another (ex. if your a arahant do you have to be a bodhisattvas and if not can you be both at the same time?). As what the sub-forum says Im mostly concern what the scripture and specificly what Buddha himself says but a level of personal interpretation is welcome.
TheWaiting

Re: Different Spiritual States

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:57 am

If you are also after personal interpretation, I'll move the thread into a forum which accommodates personal interpretation.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Different Spiritual States

Postby Virgo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 am

TheWaiting wrote:Ive heard of several different spiritual states which buddhist aspire to and seem very distinct from eachother but their specific differences seem a bit fuzzy too me. Among them are buddhas, arahant, bodhisattvas, and I beleive a few others. Can someone please clearly explain these too me. Both what they mean and their relation to one another (ex. if your a arahant do you have to be a bodhisattvas and if not can you be both at the same time?). As what the sub-forum says Im mostly concern what the scripture and specificly what Buddha himself says but a level of personal interpretation is welcome.

Hi TheWaiting,

This article on wikipedia tells fairly well about the various stages of enlightenment. Bodhisattas are aspiring Arahants. Buddhas rediscover the path and teach it after it has disappeared in the world. They are bodhisattas for an incredibly long amount of time first. There are also Paccekabuddhas, who become Arahants as well but without a teacher. They become Arahants when there is no teaching Buddha in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment

Do you have any questions? We will be happy to explain further.

Kevin
Virgo

Return to General Theravāda discussion