YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

E-Sangha - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

E-Sangha

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
fijiNut

Re: E-Sangha

Postby fijiNut » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:50 pm

With so much discussion on E-Sangha and DhammaWheel forums I must at least give my contribution.

E-Sangha was my first taste of Buddhism in real life from real people who were practicing, after having read several books from Ajahn Sumedho and other books from Buddhanet.net. I feel very much appreciative of the help in terms of pooled resources and combined years of practice that the forum with it's users had to offer, it has saved me years and years of groping in the dark with possibly traditions and practices that were not suited for me.
This has in turn set me on a path to search out real teachers (in the flesh) to actually go on retreat.
So for this, I am very indebted to E-Sangha.

I compare E-Sangha to a giant mango tree laden with delicious fruits on the top. You shake the tree, lots of good mangoes and lots of bad mangoes fall to the bottom. One must wisely pick up the good fruits and discard the rest.
It is one's own fault, if one sits and cries in a pile of rotten fruits and is still hungry, failing to pick the good mangoes.

I haven't had misunderstandings with any of the moderators or users there, so I am not in a position to comment on any bad moderators or abusive users but my sympathies for those who have had bad experiences there. I feel to a certain degree, to correct one's wrong view, one must lay it open for those who are wise and learned to see, and to have a restrictive environment where posts are unnecessarily deleted or modified is definitely not on.

Moreover, there is certainly no compassion in having anybody banned from any forum whatsoever, that is certainly not in line with the Dhamma.

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 pm

Just would like to explain to those who are wondering "where did all these Zen Buddhists come from?" that we have a ZFI start-up group working elsewhere on the net. We hope to have our new forum up before the end of the week, have been discussing many things and the topic of E-sangha was raised, in terms of how do we give people a space to talk about it, without violating right speech? Hrtbeat7 spotted this discussion as a great example of just how this can be done, how to allow a difficult and controversial topic to be discussed, compassionately and mindfully. He provided a link, and so after that we just started pouring in here out of nowhere, like Zen Time Bandits or Alice jumping thru the Looking Glass...

Hopefully not like 50 clowns getting out of a tiny car...

:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Greetings Christopher:::,

Good luck with finding the balance.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 pm

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

fijiNut

Postby fijiNut » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 pm

Chris & All,

It is good to see you too. And thank you for your post.
Much appreciation and gratitude to the moderators and admin who keep the forum in good order. :)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:05 am

Greetings Chris,

Thank you for providing a perspective from "the other side of the fence" as it were, which I feel nicely complements what I wrote at the bottom of the first page of this thread.

I think Brandon from Buddha Chat put it well when he explained that at a particular point in a board's evolution you start to come across "big city issues", many of which you've articulated very well in your post.

I believe it is far better if people are in a position where they can see and understand these issues for themselves... acknowledge they exist, and to understand and appreciate that administrators require a strategy for navigating those "big city issues" which arise. Just like any decision or approach to a situation, there are some who will be happy with it, and there are some who will feel aggrieved by it. To expect otherwise is unrealistic.

I hope your post has gone some way to helping people understand the nature of some of the deeper issues that come with leading or guiding any community, online or offline, once it hits a certain size.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Element

Postby Element » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:36 am

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:58 am

I like the small town feel here. It seems many of the people i enjoyed hearing from have moved here as well. I still pop into the beginners Forum on Esangha sometimes.

Metta

Gabriel
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 am

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:41 am

Thomas Jefferson also purportedly said to Benjamin Franklin, "i see you've taken to consorting with savages." :jumping:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Element

Postby Element » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:50 am

Element

Postby Element » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 am

Last edited by Element on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nonin

Postby Nonin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:14 am

All,

I'm sorry that you found it necessary to delete my post. Thank you, however, for posting the link to the article on E-sangha Watch. For those of you who missed it, here is the link: http://esangha.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_2. We need to speak out against injustice.

Hands palm-to-palm,

Nonin
Soto Zen Priest. Transmitted disciple of Dainin Katagiri Roshi. Member of American Zen Teachers Association; Chairperson of AZTA Membership Committee. Member of Soto Zen Buddhist Association; Member of SZBA Priest Training Committee.

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:26 am

- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 am

Regarding E-Sangha...

I do not think it is the right time to have one forum cover all traditions.
Maybe there will be such a time in the future. I don't know.
That's all I really have to say about that.

Frankly I find all Buddhist discussion forums to be horrible. Some are more horrible than others. None come anywhere close to being a resource I'd recommend to someone wanting to learn about Buddhism. Unfortunately for many, some form of horrible is the best they can get. In this sad situation I try to help where I can. :toilet:
- Peter

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:55 am

Last edited by cooran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:58 am

- Peter

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:15 am

:jumping:

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:17 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 am

This is, as many of us know, a very touchy area, which could have easily slipped into unnecessary negativity, and while there is much that could be read between the lines of some of the posts, the thoughtful, considered responses have been worthwhile. With the last msg by Christopher, this is a good place to end this thread.

Return to “Lounge”