Was Asoka the 'author' of the Asokan Inscriptions?

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Bankei

Was Asoka the 'author' of the Asokan Inscriptions?

Post by Bankei »

Herman Tieken questions a number of assumptions regarding the Asokan inscriptions, including:
- Does Piyadasse = Asoka?
- Where the inscriptions erected after his death?

See "The Role of the So-called Aśoka Inscriptions in the Attempt to Date the Buddha", Rivista di Studi Sudasiatici, Vol 1, 2006

Abstract

The date of the Buddha is calculated on the basis of the date of Aśoka’s consecration. According to one Buddhist tradition this event took place 100 years after the Buddha’s death, according to another tradition 218 later. Aśoka’s dates, in turn, are calibrated by those of the certain Greek kings mentioned in Rock Edict xiii. However, in the present article it is argued that the “Aśoka inscriptions” are not necessarily by Aśoka and that the name Aśoka found in some of the inscriptions is a later insertion.

Full article at http://ejour-fup.unifi.it/index.php/rss ... /view/2456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------------
Bankei
BlackBird

Re: Was Asoka the 'author' of the Asokan Inscriptions?

Post by BlackBird »

I would suggest reading Theravada Buddhism by Richard Gombrich - Ol' Dick has some good things to say on this topic.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks