E-Sangha

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Re: E-Sangha

Post by cooran »

Hello Peter, all,
Peter said: People need to get over themselves. If a particular website isn't to your liking then why not just move on?
Yes, I agree. I think many people ought to learn the basics of what the Buddha taught about māna:
māna
'conceit', pride, is one of the 10 fetters binding to existence (s. samyojana). It vanishes completely only at the entrance to Arahatship, or Holiness (cf. asmi-māna). It is further one of the proclivities (s. anusaya) and defilements (s. kilesa). "
The (equality-) conceit (māna), the inferiority-conceit (omāna) and the superiority-conceit (atimāna): this threefold conceit should be overcome. For, after overcoming this threefold conceit, the monk, through the full penetration of conceit, is said to have put an end suffering" (A. VI, 49).
"Those ascetics and brahman priests who, relying on this impermanent, miserable and transitory nature of corporeality, feelings, perceptions, mental formations and consciousness, fancy: 'Better am I', or 'Equal am I', or 'Worse am I', all these imagine thus through not understanding reality" (S. XXII, 49).
In reality no ego-entity is to be found. Cf. anattā.
http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/maana.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it would be best for us to follow the example of the Buddha in the Akkosa Sutta.

Insults and denigration belong to the speaker, not the one denigrated.
The Buddha also taught that someone telling here what they say they have heard there is Wrong Speech, .... kammasakata.

Akkosa Sutta - Samyutta Niikaya 7.2
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
Last edited by cooran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Chris wrote:'conceit', pride, is one of the 10 fetters binding to existence (s. samyojana). It vanishes completely only at the entrance to Arahatship
Well then I guess I'm expecting too much if even an anagami could get pissed at E-S. :lol:
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

:jumping:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Element,
Element wrote:From experience, I would say many if not most issues are created by moderators abusing power....

These kinds of websites always have issues when through wanting to control opinion and not looking bad when defeated in debate, the moderators abuse their power. I trust this site will evolve without exception to this rule.
On this point, I'd like to say that our door is always open to comment or review.

If you perceive a problem like this arises at Dhamma Wheel, you have several channels by which to raise your grievances. One is via the Report Post function attached to each post. Another is the public Suggestion Box (please use this rather than post in the offending thread as such meta-discussion tends to derail topics). Another option is a PM to myself and/or relevant members of staff. We value transparency and believe that through openness, people will understand what we do and why, and through this process we will earn their trust.

Your diligence in observing and critiquing the behaviour of Dhamma Wheel staff helps everyone, since as Thomas Jefferson reportedly noted, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Metta,
Retro. :)
No discussion forum will ever be perfect but Retro & Company are really doing the best that anyone can do, imo, to try and cultivate a respectful, open and comfortable online Buddhist community. The administrators set the tone for a forum, they are in the best position to influence the community culture, protocols, values for communicating. These are things that you can put into TOS but it also has to be modeled and practiced, by those in positions of authority. I think the Dhamma Wheel is going to do just fine as she grows. She has a good team of people who's values are clear to everyone who interacts with them, cause they mindfully practice what they preach.

As for e-sangha, there are many many excellent moderators there. I think the majority of moderators set a very respectful tone. Problems arose, imo, when moderators did not follow the basic protocols they expected from everyone else. There is a paradox with these social networking technologies that people in positions of "authority" have to be mindful of. This technology is "democratic" by nature, potentially anarchistic. If you try to control that in a top-down authoritarian way you set yourself up for problems, sow dissent and rebellion. There has to be a balance of rules and respectfulness shown, imo.

Everyone has an opportunity to speak here on the Internet, as everyone's words spill onto the page. A respected Buddhist teacher posts something, and is followed by a 17 year old who is only half way thru Jack Kerouac's Dharma Bums. There is no way to control what happens, and yet its also a wonderful opportunity.

Anyway, I take my hat off to all the E-sangha mods and admins for trying the best they can to run such a difficult experiment. All of us who have been a part of that community have been participating in a bit of Buddhist history. Perhaps, as Peter said, the time isn't right yet to have one forum cover all traditions. Maybe. But one forum has been attempting just that, and with a lot of very very positive results.

If we focus on the positive, each accept our responsibility in all these dynamics, respect one another and learn from what failed I think we'll all do alright.

:group:

"The results of karma cannot be known by thought, and so should not be speculated about. Thus, thinking, one would come to distraction and distress. Therefore, Ananda, do not be the judge of people; do not make assumptions about others. A person is destroyed by holding judgments about others."

-Anguttura Nikaya

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adverse circumstances test our courage, our strength of mind, and the depth of our conviction in the Dharma. There is nothing exceptional about practicing Dharma in a good environment and atmosphere. The true test is if we can maintain our practice in adverse conditions.

-Geshe Ngawang Dhargyey, "Advice From a Spiritual Friend"

:heart:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This is, as many of us know, a very touchy area, which could have easily slipped into unnecessary negativity, and while there is much that could be read between the lines of some of the posts, the thoughtful, considered responses have been worthwhile. With the last msg by Christopher, this is a good place to end this thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723