Super Bowl!!!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

Re: Super Bowl!!!

Post by bodom »

Most Popular Sports
What are the most popular sports worldwide?

Football (Soccer) ranks at the top of a majority of the credible lists published.

Additional Answers

"Most popular" could mean "most watched", "most played" or "most revenue-generating."

Based on the variable definition of "most popular" the following observations apply:

The most played sport in the world is FOOTBALL.

Based on the number and size of stadiums around the world, the number of people who wear football merchandise, number of people who are aware of football, and the number of leagues/tournaments worldwide (The WORLD CUP, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, THE SOUTH AMERICAN CUP, THE AMERICAN CUP, THE ASIAN CUP, 70 English league teams, 40 Italian league teams, 40 Spanish league teams) football ranks at the top of the list regardless the definition of "most popular".

Rugby is very popular in many former English colonies (with the noteable exception of the United States) and carries a large following, however participation rates fall below that of football.
Most Frequently Cited Ranked Lists

1) Football. 3.3-3.5 Billion Fans. (Europe, Africa, Asia, Americas,etc)
2) Cricket 2-3. Billion Fans. (India,U.K,Pakistan,Asia,Australia,etc)
3) Field Hockey. 2-2.2 Bilion Fans. (Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia)
4) Tennis. Around 1 Billion Fans. (Europe, Americas, Asia)
5) Volleyball Around 900 Million Fans. (Asia, Erope, Americas, Australia)
6) Table Tennis Around 900 Million Fans. (Asia, Europe, Africa, Americas)
7) Baseball Around 500 Million Fans. (U.S, Japan, Cuba, Dom rep)
8) Golf Around 400 Million Fans. (U.S, Canada, Europe)
9) Gridiron (american football) 390-410 Million Fans. (U.S mainly)
10) Basketball Not more than 400M Fans. (U.S, Canada mainly)

Football
Cricket
Tennis
Gymnastics
Swimming
Cycling
Karate
Basketball
Field Hockey
Baseball

See Related Links
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more on cricket popularity.

Wheres rugby?

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

And another list, more recent events:

1. 2006 World Cup Final (300 million viewers)
2. Euro 2004 Soccer Final (153 million viewers)
3. 2004 Olympic Games: opening ceremony (127 million viewers)
4. 2004 Olympic Games: closing ceremony (96 million viewers)
5. 2004 Super Bowl (95 million viewers)
6. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 100m metres (87 million viewers)
7. 2003 Champions League (67 million viewers)
8. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 200m freestyle swimming (66 million viewers)
9. 2004 Formula One: Monaco Grand Prix (59 million viewers)
10. 2004 Basketball: NBA finals (25 million viewers)

Again no rugby. Super Bowl number 5.

Heres another:

Super Bowl, the world’s most watched live TV sports event in 2007

Initiative Sports Futures, published the report showing the top 10 live TV events for 2007, drawn from a pre-selected list of 15 events viewed worldwide and chosen for both their sporting importance and commercial value.

The report says an average live global audience of 97 million people watched the Indianapolis Colts defeat the Chicago Bears.

Following the NFL Super Bowl in second place was Formula One’s Brazilian Grand Prix, followed by the UEFA Champions League Final. The IRB World Cup Final came in fourth place, followed by World Athletics Championships; MLB World Series; IIHF World Men’s Handball Championship Final; US Masters (Final Day); Wimbledon, and the ICC World Twenty20 Championship Final.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/16337 ... nt-in-2007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't take a math genious to figure out the worldwide popularity of a sport. Just check television ratings.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

and that proves what, superbowl is a national sport in a nation with how many people?
I am not saying AF isn't popular in America, just that it is played by a whole bunch of bubble boys who couldn't take a proper hit, I can drive a car into a wall at 40MPH and survive with the right protection fitted in the car, I could also survive a 90mph car crash with the right protection, doesn't mean I could handle that force without the protection.
if you want to go into statistics I'll stick to the ones that are later analysis from forms and participation.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If my experience is anything to go by, very few people in Australia care about the Super Bowl.

This one however has attracted marginally more interest simply because the kicker for one of the sides is Ben Graham, a former Australian Rules Footballer.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Super bowl? Pooper bowl.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Element

Post by Element »

The team with the Australian kicker will win.

This Australian kicker comes from Aussie Rules or AFL.

AFL is for more gentle men. Due to gentileness, it is sometime called GFL.

But AFL is tougher than the NFL so the team with the AFL player should win.

Below is a typical GFL player.

ImageImageImage
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Manapa wrote:NFL is world wide for sure and not just big in :quote: america :quote: :cookoo:
Quite so. NFL is the USA's most unexportable commodity. The only way anyone can find it entertaining is if they've been brainwashed into believing so at a very young age (reminiscent of that supposed Jesuit saying: "If we get them by the age of six, they're ours for life"). Anyone not thus brainwashed (i.e. anyone born outside of the US) will find the game either laughable (with its refrigerator-fetish costumes etc.) or else boring to tears (chiefly due to the lack of fluid play and continual breaks).

By contrast, with rugby —and especially rugby union— no childhood exposure is needed. The sport is so intrinsically thrilling that even middle-aged or elderly people, upon seeing a game for the first time become immediate addicts (with the one sad exception of those whose sense of discrimination has been perverted by childhood exposure to NFL).

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dhammanando wrote: or else boring to tears (chiefly due to the lack of fluid play and continual breaks).
Not sure who said it first, but it has been called, "sporadic violence in between numerous board meetings (huddles)."
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

TheDhamma wrote:Not sure who said it first, but it has been called, "sporadic violence in between numerous board meetings (huddles)."
:lol:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Element,
Element wrote:Below is a typical GFL player.

ImageImageImage
A typical Sydney Swan, perhaps...

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Element

Post by Element »

For Boom Boom

Jokes aside, as a bit of a footy star & tactician in a past life, despite its delays, I used to be fascinated by the tactical aspect of NFL.

It was a great game to watch. I hope your team won.

Kind regards

E

Last edited by Element on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

The Super Bowl is really fun to watch with a group of people, but on my own out here in Japan i always seem to find out about it after the game is already over. I just found out that it was today when i woke up this morning. Haven't watched a game i think since the 49er's won, in... maybe.... 1990?

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I can't appreciate any sport that doesn't involve some variety of tactics... and there's only one sport that really interest me, probably on account of the veritable multitude of tactics and that's cricket.

A game so seemingly boring to the uninstructed observer, yet it appears 2nd on that earlier list of the world's favourite sports.... there must be something to it.

Metta,
Element

Post by Element »

TheDhamma wrote:Not sure who said it first, but it has been called, "sporadic violence in between numerous board meetings (huddles)."
Below are pictures of rugby union, which they call "the game played in heaven". It is called this because unlike Jesus, it is boring on Earth unlike it is imagined in Heaven.

The picture is of a ruck. In this rabble, the ball is raked for by the players feet, wearing spiked boots. However, more often than not, the players lose their sati-sampajanna and mistake the opposing player's heads for the ball.

If ever a game was based in upper class mob mentality of hoarding things as a group, it is rugby. One player holds the ball and the rest surround him as the overweight mob slowly plods its way up field.

Image Image
Last edited by Element on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I can't appreciate any sport that doesn't involve some variety of tactics... and there's only one sport that really interest me, probably on account of the veritable multitude of tactics and that's cricket.

A game so seemingly boring to the uninstructed observer, yet it appears 2nd on that earlier list of the world's favourite sports.... there must be something to it.

Metta,
Football is all about tactics. Each play the team decides upon their plan. 1-2-3 hut hut hike! The plan is now executed, and you watch to see if it will succeed or fail. Sometimes truly spectacular and unexpected things happen, that's what makes it especially fun.

But its like going to a concert alone, if you are not with friends. Much more fun to watch in a large group, cause the group dynamics adds a whole nuther level to the experience.

Also carbonated beverages are good, add something.

:toast:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009