YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Salla Sutta - Dhamma Wheel

Salla Sutta

Each week we study and discuss a different sutta or Dhamma text

Moderator: mikenz66

jcsuperstar

Salla Sutta

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:03 am

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Freawaru

Re: Salla Sutta

Postby Freawaru » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 am

Greetings Freawaru,

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that "other world" must mean "intermediate world"?

All it means is not-this-world. Only when you conceive of a this-ness, can there be other-ness.

As for the sutta itself, this is one of my favourites - I prefer the Ireland translation. I've said it before, but if there was ever a sutta worth reading at a Buddhist funeral service, it would be this one.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:06 pm

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

Tex

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:24 pm

One of my favorite suttas as well.

:buddha1:
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Freawaru

Postby Freawaru » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:46 am

ReadyFeet

Postby ReadyFeet » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Still relatively new to Buddhism. What a beautiful and poignant Sutta.

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:53 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

Return to “Study Group”