Three Kinds of Teacher

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Three Kinds of Teacher

Post by Cittasanto »

I heard recently there are three kinds of Dhamma Teacher or teaching, simply put the teacher comes from Anitta, Anatta, or Dhukka!
does anyone know the caracteristics of each of these three what is the common expression/s or theme of the three different types?

I believe the teacher of Dhukka comes from a position (or can come from) of Metta as the cornerstone of their teachings but what else tells us which they come from?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Re: Three Kinds of Teacher

Post by appicchato »

Hi Manapa,

This doesn't sound like anything I've encountered...where have you 'recently heard'?...

Be well... ;)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Appicchato,
appicchato wrote:where have you 'recently heard'?...
I don't think it is in the Suttas, specifically! but it was from a Dhamma Teacher called Michael Kewley (AKA Pańńadipa)I know the last time I saw him back home a month ago! just wondering more about it

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:I don't think it is in the Suttas, specifically! but it was from a Dhamma Teacher called Michael Kewley (AKA Pańńadipa)I know the last time I saw him back home a month ago! just wondering more about it
I'm not familiar with the idea that you mention, but am reminded of the teaching about the three gateways to Nibbana. Here penetration of impermanence leads to the signless liberation, penetration of dukkha to the desireless liberation, and penetration of anatta to the emptiness liberation.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
stuka

Post by stuka »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:I don't think it is in the Suttas, specifically! but it was from a Dhamma Teacher called Michael Kewley (AKA Pańńadipa)I know the last time I saw him back home a month ago! just wondering more about it
I'm not familiar with the idea that you mention, but am reminded of the teaching about the three gateways to Nibbana. Here penetration of impermanence leads to the signless liberation, penetration of dukkha to the desireless liberation, and penetration of anatta to the emptiness liberation.

I was reminded of that also.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi Dhammanando
Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Maybe it is related to that? how someone "knows" is how they teach?
so if someone has liberation through Impermanence they teach the signless path, so if someone has liberation through Dukkha they teach the desireless path, so if someone has liberation through anatta they teach the emptyness path? which in a way coresponds to what was said at the time! which was mainly about teachers of Dukkha tending to emphasise Metta!
but Dhamma has many flavours but only one taste!

John Stuart Mill