Meditation question

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
sangyey

Meditation question

Post by sangyey »

Hi,

I am just wondering if it is okay to meditate with your eyes closed? I recieved instructions on meditation where I was instructed to leave them half open but I find for such things as loving-kindness meditation I prefer eyes-closed. I am just wondering is that's okay?

Thank you

Sangyey
bodom

Re: Meditation question

Post by bodom »

Of course its ok. If you find yourself becoming sleepy with eyes closed just open them as usual. Find and use what works best for you.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

It's much more common to meditate with your eyes closed, though eyes open can be a good antidote for sleepiness.

The trouble with the eyes half open idea is that it takes a bit of attention to maintain the eyelids just right, attention that would probably be better put on the meditation object.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Goofaholix wrote:The trouble with the eyes half open idea is that it takes a bit of attention to maintain the eyelids just right, attention that would probably be better put on the meditation object.
Agreed. Also, if you've got your eyes closed, the question of (the volitional act of) blinking is taken out of the equation which is good (unless of course you specifically want to observe it).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."