The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Meditation Challenge

Postby Reductor » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:20 am

Dukkhanirodha wrote:There is a space between the bottom of my flat's door and the ground, so they can get in and out by there. When it has rained a lot, they set out at night looking for a suitable dwelling place, and they visit my appartment.

Spiders come through my apartment by the truck load, the main avenue for them is the space between my front door and the ground. I take a towel, roll it up, and jam it in between the door and the ground. That keeps out most of them.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Sekha » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:39 am

Dhammabodhi wrote:If you come to France anytime, do let me know!

I will be there from July to early October. Let me know :-)

thereductor wrote:
Dukkhanirodha wrote:There is a space between the bottom of my flat's door and the ground, so they can get in and out by there. When it has rained a lot, they set out at night looking for a suitable dwelling place, and they visit my appartment.

Spiders come through my apartment by the truck load, the main avenue for them is the space between my front door and the ground. I take a towel, roll it up, and jam it in between the door and the ground. That keeps out most of them.

I think I should start doing that. For the moment, I have an old insecticide can. I spray some on the ground, as a repellent.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

As a sweet-smelling and beautiful lotus flower may grow upon a heap of rubbish thrown on the highway, so also, out of the rubbish heap of beings may appear a disciple of the Buddha, who with his wisdom, shines resplendent in wisdom. -/ Dhp 58-59
Sekha

Postby bodom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:47 pm

My daughter was kind enough to allow me 40 minutes of walking meditation today while she napped. Wasnt the full hour I would have liked to get in but ill take it anyway. :smile:

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby ezzirah » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Is it too late to join?

I am re-establishing my practice after a long absence.

10 minutes a day, everyday?

:buddha2:
metta,
kat
ezzirah

Postby bodom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:11 am

ezzirah wrote:Is it too late to join?

I am re-establishing my practice after a long absence.

10 minutes a day, everyday?

:buddha2:
metta,
kat

Its never too late Kat. :smile: Ten minutes everyday sounds great to start with. Best wishes for you and your practice.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:49 pm

1 hour walking meditation.

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:04 am

1 hour metta/anapanasati.

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat May 01, 2010 8:47 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat May 01, 2010 11:04 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Sun May 02, 2010 9:53 pm

bodom

Postby Sekha » Mon May 03, 2010 10:39 pm

I think I can consider I am now steady (nearly 2 weeks practicing that way) with one additional hour every morning.

The session has become: 2 am - 6 am

I am also steady in sleeping 4h30mn per 24h, which makes me go to bed at 9:30 pm.
When I don' have to go to work, 4h is fine.

but I really need this because I am experiencing :rolleye: due to having taken ayahuasca a few years ago. It is sometimes very frustrating to pratice that much to get so little inner peace. I hope to get over it soon.
:meditate:

As a sweet-smelling and beautiful lotus flower may grow upon a heap of rubbish thrown on the highway, so also, out of the rubbish heap of beings may appear a disciple of the Buddha, who with his wisdom, shines resplendent in wisdom. -/ Dhp 58-59
Sekha

Postby bodom » Tue May 04, 2010 6:46 pm

Dukkhanirodha wrote:It is sometimes very frustrating to pratice that much to get so little inner peace.

Maybe wanting to achieve peace and putting expectations on your practice is exactly what is keeping you from attaining peace?

bodom

Postby bodom » Tue May 04, 2010 6:47 pm

bodom

Postby Sekha » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm

bodom wrote:
Dukkhanirodha wrote:It is sometimes very frustrating to pratice that much to get so little inner peace.

Maybe wanting to achieve peace and putting expectations on your practice is exactly what is keeping you from attaining peace?

I wish it was so simple

Sekha

Postby Ella » Thu May 06, 2010 7:58 pm

May i please join?
i will be doing 10 minutes
Ella
Ella

Postby bodom » Thu May 06, 2010 9:51 pm

40 minutes walking meditation.

Tomorrow I am planning on 45 minutes walking followed by 45 minutes sitting in the morning. I am hoping to get up to an hour each of walking and sitting every morning in the next few weeks.

bodom

Postby adept » Mon May 10, 2010 9:50 pm

For the past few weeks I've been doing 20 minutes 5-6 mornings per week in full lotus noting the rising and falling of the abdomen.
adept

Postby EricJ » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:31 am

I have been in the process of seriously establishing my practice and commitment to the Dhamma this week. The will/viriya to do this emerged randomly this week, but I feel more saddha than I ever have before and I have a strong sense that now is the time, that the conditions are perfect, and that my path has led me to this point in time. I find I am able meditate for longer periods of time whenever I have this type of true conviction, which has been absent in previous attempts.

My challenge is to use my summer before college to create the conditions for a lifetime practice. For me, this involves meditation 2-3 times every day for a least thirty minutes per session, with gradual increases in duration on days whenever the conditions feel right. But at least thirty minutes each time. I also commit myself to maintaining ardency, alertness and mindfulness of the present moment and to study of the Dhamma.

This summer is perfect for this because I have no job, no responsibilities, and no external impediments to interfere with my practice. I also spend most of my time alone, which speaks to the fruits of practice "born of solitude."

Now, for the supportive aspect of this thread, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. How can I get my feet/legs to stop going numb in cross-legged positions? I'm young, flexible and sprightly (until anicca gets me), and I can get in to the position easily. But at least one foot always goes numb.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
EricJ

Postby Reductor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:09 am

EricJ wrote:Now, for the supportive aspect of this thread, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. How can I get my feet/legs to stop going numb in cross-legged positions? I'm young, flexible and sprightly (until anicca gets me), and I can get in to the position easily. But at least one foot always goes numb.

You don't.

Just sit up straight and stay with your object; let the legs take care of themselves. It ain't easy, but its easy.

If you sit enough your body will get used to it, but numbness, if you're going numb, is likely to persist.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

PreviousNext

Return to Theravada Meditation