Goenka Retreat?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
alan

Re: Goenka Retreat?

Post by alan »

Like to make it clear that retreats are valuable. Even though the Goenka bit did not work out (in terms of following that method), time spent in intensive study is always good. How to avoid the problems inherent in this--like the tendency (for some) to give up yourself to a Guru--well that I don't know... other than to be very cynical and question everything, of course. Oops, that does seem to be my attitude towards teachers now...perhaps it was formed way back then?? Hmm, something for me to think about.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Joseph
Joseph wrote:For me, the 10 days retreat was one of the hardest thing I've ever accomplished but it was also probably the single most transforming event of my life. So much so that I'm going back for another one in July.
That pretty much sums up my experience on my first ten-day course as well. just keep plugging away at the daily sits as best you can without giving yourself a hard time if you can't sit for as long as you would like or if your concentration isn't happening for you.
One thing I've had to do in order to integrate my practice with a young family, was to meditate in the early morning before everyone wakes up, and again after everyone went to bed at night. It was worth the effort and discipline. These days, as the kids are a little older, they'll be quiet if I tell them I want to meditate for a while during the day or in the evening.
Also, don't forget to check out your regional vipassana meditation website to see if there is a group-sit close to you. I was a coordinator for a group-sit in regional victoria (Australia) for over four years and my co-practitioners reported that a weekly group sit was incredibly beneficial to their practice.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Any properly constituted retreat is a challenge, Goenka retreats are not different in this respect.
Clearly some approaches suit a given individual more than others..but for many people a retreat represents a watershed in their practice, and in their understanding of Dhamma.
My own experience of a Goenka retreat was that I consider my internalisation of Dhamma to begin during it.
There is my understanding BR ( before retreat ) and AR..it was that formative for me.
I know that the same is true of many others, the nature of the retreat might vary, but for many many people a Vipassana retreat marks the point at which a complex of ideas and opinion and models resolves into a clear direction, a path.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well said, Peter!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Peter expressed exactly how my retreat experience was. Before, Dhamma was in my head, afterwards Dhamma is a heart-felt practice.

It was easily the hardest thing I have ever done, far more difficult than the sports camps I attended as a teenage athlete. It was also the most worthwhile thing I have ever done. I plan to do many more. Best wishes to you in your efforts.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Soeun

Post by Soeun »

I already took refuge in the 3 jewels so when i went to the Goenka 10-day retreat it was difficult at first because I never meditated before and my mind was so clouded. but by the end of the course it was the best experience of my life mainly because I was the happiest at that time with no attachments or desires.