I just found out were getting laid off in two months

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: I just found out were getting laid off in two months

Postby Jason » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:16 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Sad but true. This job was the only job i have ever had where i actually looked forward to coming to work. Atleast we got a two month notice. My girls 5 months pregnant and now we both have start all over as she works here too. Its a pretty scary time.

:namaste:

I hear you. Two weeks ago, my company restricted everyone to 32 hours a week. Last week, they announced that are going to start letting people go this week. Seeing as how I have Mondays off, I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out what has happened. Thus far, I think that I am safe; but if business does not pick up soon, it is only a matter if time.
Last edited by Jason on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Jason

Postby Annapurna » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:10 pm

TheDhamma wrote:Ouch! I know what you are saying. These are terrible times indeed. I own a business and the income, cash flows are way down already.

Yes, terrible times.

I own a business as well, and had no income at all in January.

I hope I survive this crisis.

Good luck to you and Bad bodom boy.
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Tex » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:02 pm

I feel for you BBB, my employment status in the coming months is very much in doubt.

I hope everything works out for you.

(Maybe if I get laid off we should start up a Buddhist commune -- Texas Theravadin Trailer Park?)
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:57 pm

Greetings BBB,

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Atleast we got a two month notice.

Yes, at least you've got opportunities to apply for other work, even if the economy isn't great.

Wishing you and your family all the best on your trails through samsara.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby zavk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:28 am

Oh no.... best wishes to you.

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
zavk

Postby Element » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:29 am

BBB

Bad economic times. I hope you find work. I hope you have family & friends who can help you if required.

Be careful of pride. We are born in a world in which vicissitudes are the norm. It is like we are a guest in a world where vicissitudes is its nature.

With metta

E
Element

Postby pink_trike » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:44 am

Been there...done it...it sucks...but it passes. The important thing to remember is that "it passes". Good luck...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Postby bodom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Tex wrote:I feel for you BBB, my employment status in the coming months is very much in doubt.

I hope everything works out for you.

(Maybe if I get laid off we should start up a Buddhist commune -- Texas Theravadin Trailer Park?)

Haha that would awesome! Lets do it! :rofl:

But seriously thanks for the well wishes. Things will work out. They always seem to do in a crazy way.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Lazy_eye » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 pm

It's a crummy thing to happen, especially with parenthood coming at you fast, but I hope there will be new and better opportunities down the road. For whatever it's worth, my advice would be to focus on not letting the stress get the better of your relationship... you and your gal are both naturally going to be upset and worried (having a new baby is a high anxiety time even under good economic circumstances), so remind yourself to take a deep breath when you feel overwhelmed. It's all anicca, anatta, dukkha. Of course, you know this already!

Lazy_eye

Postby bodom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Lazy_eye wrote:It's all anicca, anatta, dukkha. Of course, you know this already!

Believe me it never hurts too hear it too many times. Thanks.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Aloka » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Hope things improve for you BBB.

Lots of good wishes

Aloka

Postby notself » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:42 am

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Sad but true. This job was the only job i have ever had where i actually looked forward to coming to work. Atleast we got a two month notice. My girls 5 months pregnant and now we both have start all over as she works here too. Its a pretty scary time.

Darn right it's scary. My husband and I have been there too.

Ask your employer about COBRA insurance which will give you and you partner health coverage for up to eighteen months.

You are eligible for unemployement benefits 14 days after your last pay check. When you sign up, specifically ask for retraining. Ask your employer to request that the State Unemployment Office send someone to your office to explain unemployment benefits and procedures. California sent someone to my office at the request of management when the office closed.

You will get through this.

Metta,
notself
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Postby bodom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:43 pm

notself wrote:

Darn right it's scary. My husband and I have been there too.

Ask your employer about COBRA insurance which will give you and you partner health coverage for up to eighteen months.

You are eligible for unemployement benefits 14 days after your last pay check. When you sign up, specifically ask for retraining. Ask your employer to request that the State Unemployment Office send someone to your office to explain unemployment benefits and procedures. California sent someone to my office at the request of management when the office closed.

You will get through this.

Metta,
notself

Thank you. I have looked into COBRA and it looks like a great way to keep my benefits.

bodom

Postby notself » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:57 pm

Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Previous

Return to Lounge