How to withdraw from Jhana?

Discussion of Samatha bhavana and Jhana bhavana.

How to withdraw from Jhana?

Postby smokey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:11 pm

I have never achieved Jhana, but I do intend to, so I would like to know how to withdraw from it?
smokey

Re: How to withdraw from Jhana?

Postby Reductor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm

If you mean sutta form jhana, then you can just stand up. Of course, you can also re establish the factors that you had previously disposed of. First, if you're in fourth jhana, you would direct your attention to the obvious sense of body and the feelings present there. Then you would allow your mind to become enamored with those bodily feelings. Then you return mental thinking to the process of breathing. Then you get up.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Kenshou » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:07 pm

Mhm. Getting "stuck" probably isn't anything to be concerned about, don't let any lingering worries about that prevent you from allowing your concentration to become as solid as possible. As soon as the intention to get up comes up, the process of adverting is pretty much already happening, and if you happened to get into a really really hard jhana, you won't even be able to form the intention to get out anyway, so you won't care. :tongue:
Kenshou

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:55 pm

i wouldnt worry about it too much
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm

smokey wrote:I have never achieved Jhana, but I do intend to, so I would like to know how to withdraw from it?

If you are worried about getting out then don't worry, the worry will most likely prevent you from getting in.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby smokey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks guys! :toast:
smokey

Return to Samatha Meditation and Jhana