All-night session

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Guy

All-night session

Post by Guy »

Tonight I'm going to try one of those all-night meditation session thingo's. I will alternate between sitting and walking until dawn. Anyone else tried it? What was your experience? Did you learn anything or did you find it to be a waste of time?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Re: All-night session

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Guy,

Never tried it, but let us know how you go!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

All the best Guy!
Looking forward to your report on your experience.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

No, but wishing you lots of strength and perseverance!!!
_/|\_
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Don't be shy about using bright lighting to help you stay awake, and don't be shy about doing more walking than sitting, and don't be shy about doing standing rather sitting meditaion to help you stay awake.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

To add to the above...

Some people like to bend forwards at the waist as far as they can in meditation to combat drowsiness (probably helps the blood to go to the head).

Also fresh air may help... Some have sat in the cold but it can be a bit extreme.

And standing meditation is an excellent suggestion!
_/|\_
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu! I admire your determination and effort. Even if nothing immediately perceptible comes out of it it will not have been in vain. Please let us know how it goes! Metta. :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The Buddha did it, with very good results (to say the least).

I like it. I don't do it as much as I'd like, but find it very helpful. I have done it a few times. One episode many years ago is briefly mentioned at:

http://www.jhanas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scroll down to 'Unique Experiences'

It can be sort of a 'mini-retreat' and break-throughs sometimes can occur at retreats or in this type of setting.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Thanks all for your encouragement and suggestions. Started to get very tired at about 1:30AM (normally I go to bed quite early) but I seem to have my second wind now, it's about 2:30AM. I haven't been just walking and sitting as I hoped. I have broken it up a little bit with a couple of dhamma talks. Also I didn't pick the best night to do this because my mum just bought a puppy today and it has been whining and since everyone was asleep I decided to keep it company for a little while. Oh well, I guess it is just an opportunity to cultivate some metta. Anyway...I'll report back in 4 hours.

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The only times I have done it were under rather different conditions Guy...i.e. in a shrine room. After around 1am I had it to myself until about 4.30am.

Walking a little certainly helps. As does a little quiet chanting.
Keep hydrated...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Guy,

Great idea!

I did a few nights like that last year at our Wat, at the urging of a visiting Thai Ajahn. I think I did two nights one weekend and one night some other weekend. The interesting thing was that it induces the experiences that I've had before of being quite mindful, but other parts of the mind not working too well (which sometimes happens when I get up on a normal retreat).

I think it had some good effects, especially in making it clear that that a retreat doesn't have to have "perfect conditions".

To me it seems a little odd to go on "retreat" and continue to post on the internet, but perhaps I'm oldfashioned.

Keep up the good work! :anjali:

Metta
Mike
Guy

Post by Guy »

Sun's up, fun's over.
tiltbillings wrote:Don't be shy about using bright lighting to help you stay awake, and don't be shy about doing more walking than sitting, and don't be shy about doing standing rather sitting meditaion to help you stay awake.
About 4:00AM onwards the sitting was not so good, much nodding, almost fell off my stool a couple of times. I didn't do any standing meditation, but I did a fair bit of walking. Had a bright light on all night.
Dan74 wrote:Some people like to bend forwards at the waist as far as they can in meditation to combat drowsiness (probably helps the blood to go to the head).
I did this quite a bit throughout the night. I found it quite helpful, thanks!
Dan74 wrote:Also fresh air may help... Some have sat in the cold but it can be a bit extreme.
I wasn't brave enough to try this, its almost winter where I live...maybe next time.
PeterB wrote:Walking a little certainly helps. As does a little quiet chanting.
Indeed, I chanted the Metta Sutta which gave me some energy.
mikenz66 wrote:I think I did two nights one weekend and one night some other weekend.
Two nights in a row?! Too ascetic for me!
mikenz66 wrote:To me it seems a little odd to go on "retreat" and continue to post on the internet, but perhaps I'm oldfashioned.
I wouldn't categorize it as a retreat, more like an experiment for the effects of sleep deprivation on meditation. I had to look after the puppy which took perhaps a couple of hours in total, sweet little thing, but rather needy. I would like to try this experiment again though within the context of a month long self-retreat, free of all those distractions.

A few things which I learned from the experience:

1) Even though I was hungry and tired I was quite happy and content thanks to my inner resources. This helps strengthen my faith in myself and in the Dhamma that I do not need to rely so much on physical needs being met to be happy. Obviously I am going to have a good meal and a nice rest now, but it is good to see that it doesn't matter so much if I go a few hours without. Actually I feel pretty good right now! (But of course that's impermanent)
2) Thinking too much increases the tiredness very rapidly. The less thoughts that came into my mind, the less I felt the need for sleep.
3) The urge to lie down and sleep came in waves. Before I began I thought that it might just get stronger and stronger, but it seemed like there is a definite build up of tiredness to a certain point, but if I stay mindful then energy starts to build up in the place of the tiredness.

Thanks all once again for your input and support.

2) Throwing things away

- Ajahn Brahm
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Guy,
Guy wrote:1) Even though I was hungry and tired I was quite happy and content thanks to my inner resources. This helps strengthen my faith in myself and in the Dhamma that I do not need to rely so much on physical needs being met to be happy. Obviously I am going to have a good meal and a nice rest now, but it is good to see that it doesn't matter so much if I go a few hours without. Actually I feel pretty good right now! (But of course that's impermanent)
2) Thinking too much increases the tiredness very rapidly. The less thoughts that came into my mind, the less I felt the need for sleep.
3) The urge to lie down and sleep came in waves. Before I began I thought that it might just get stronger and stronger, but it seemed like there is a definite build up of tiredness to a certain point, but if I stay mindful then energy starts to build up in the place of the tiredness.
Good stuff - well done.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the report. It's the kind of thing I would like to try one night if the world would accommodate me... however, whatever day of the week, I'll have to get up at 7am either to go to work, or get bossed into making my son breakfast or playing Marble Works!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Wel done, Guy!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

WoW, Guy! You did it!!! Well done!!!!!!!!!

You are an inspiration, Chess Buddy!

(BTW, :quote: winter :quote:? This is Perth, we are talking about?? :jumping:

_/|\_
Guy wrote:Sun's up, fun's over.
tiltbillings wrote:Don't be shy about using bright lighting to help you stay awake, and don't be shy about doing more walking than sitting, and don't be shy about doing standing rather sitting meditaion to help you stay awake.
About 4:00AM onwards the sitting was not so good, much nodding, almost fell off my stool a couple of times. I didn't do any standing meditation, but I did a fair bit of walking. Had a bright light on all night.
Dan74 wrote:Some people like to bend forwards at the waist as far as they can in meditation to combat drowsiness (probably helps the blood to go to the head).
I did this quite a bit throughout the night. I found it quite helpful, thanks!
Dan74 wrote:Also fresh air may help... Some have sat in the cold but it can be a bit extreme.
I wasn't brave enough to try this, its almost winter where I live...maybe next time.
PeterB wrote:Walking a little certainly helps. As does a little quiet chanting.
Indeed, I chanted the Metta Sutta which gave me some energy.
mikenz66 wrote:I think I did two nights one weekend and one night some other weekend.
Two nights in a row?! Too ascetic for me!
mikenz66 wrote:To me it seems a little odd to go on "retreat" and continue to post on the internet, but perhaps I'm oldfashioned.
I wouldn't categorize it as a retreat, more like an experiment for the effects of sleep deprivation on meditation. I had to look after the puppy which took perhaps a couple of hours in total, sweet little thing, but rather needy. I would like to try this experiment again though within the context of a month long self-retreat, free of all those distractions.

A few things which I learned from the experience:

1) Even though I was hungry and tired I was quite happy and content thanks to my inner resources. This helps strengthen my faith in myself and in the Dhamma that I do not need to rely so much on physical needs being met to be happy. Obviously I am going to have a good meal and a nice rest now, but it is good to see that it doesn't matter so much if I go a few hours without. Actually I feel pretty good right now! (But of course that's impermanent)

Thanks all once again for your input and support.
_/|\_