A Letter about Crisis of the Earth between You and Me

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
mikenz66

Re: A Letter about Crisis of the Earth between You and Me

Post by mikenz66 »

alan wrote:You're right. I'm so bad. Maybe it is all that Jazz music I'm always playing that turns me so wrong.
Yeah, watch out for those tritones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone#Historical_uses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The name diabolus in musica ("the Devil in music") has been applied to the interval from at least the early 18th century

Mike
alan

Post by alan »

Oh my. I'm so screwed. That devil music just controls my soul.
maybe in the next life?
BuddhaStudent

Post by BuddhaStudent »

tiltbillings wrote:
Good-will praying is different from unrealistic dreaming. If we put it to action, then, Good-will praying can be seen as a good beggining of karma.
So, to whom are you praying?
Sometimes I pray to Buddha and Bodisattva for good will to come true, or help me in doing good deeds.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BuddhaStudent wrote:
Sometimes I pray to Buddha and Bodisattva for good will to come true, or help me in doing good deeds.
You probably will find a better response to this here: http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings BuddhaStudent,

To help you understand these responses a little, Theravada Buddhism is based primarily on the Tipitaka. In the Tipitaka, the subject of prayer and wishing in general is as explained by Tiltbillings... it is not through prayer that things are achieved, especially not global peace.

However, if people develop loving-kindness and compassion, then they become more peaceful individuals and better world citizens. They cause less suffering to others and help make the world a better place. If you wish to encourage Theravada Buddhists to make the world a better place, the way is not through encouraging supplication to Buddhas, bodhisattvas, Dhamma protectors or deities. Rather, it is through the cultivation of the brahma-viharas (divine abidings) - namely, metta (lovingkindness), karuna (compassion), upekkha (equanimity) and mudita (appreciative/sympathetic joy)... as well as encouraging good deeds, adherence to precepts, and opportunities for making merit.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BuddhaStudent

Post by BuddhaStudent »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings BuddhaStudent,

To help you understand these responses a little, Theravada Buddhism is based primarily on the Tipitaka. In the Tipitaka, the subject of prayer and wishing in general is as explained by Tiltbillings... it is not through prayer that things are achieved, especially not global peace.

However, if people develop loving-kindness and compassion, then they become more peaceful individuals and better world citizens. They cause less suffering to others and help make the world a better place. If you wish to encourage Theravada Buddhists to make the world a better place, the way is not through encouraging supplication to Buddhas, bodhisattvas, Dhamma protectors or deities. Rather, it is through the cultivation of the brahma-viharas (divine abidings) - namely, metta (lovingkindness), karuna (compassion), upekkha (equanimity) and mudita (appreciative/sympathetic joy)... as well as encouraging good deeds, adherence to precepts, and opportunities for making merit.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Oh, I see. Thank you for your kindness in indicating the difference between us, and various ways to embody Buddha's spirits. I think maybe it's Bodisattva giving me an opportunity to know other people better, and to more deeply understand the precious variety of the world. Thank you very much. Anyway, I do think we have something in common, that is, we all want the world and living creatures happy and peaceful, no matter how we achieve it. The cultivation of the brahma-viharas (divine abidings), metta (lovingkindness), karuna (compassion), upekkha (equanimity) and mudita (appreciative/sympathetic joy) are all great human virtues. These all will help Bodisattva in collecting goodness for saving the global warming of the earth.