Instincts...

An open and inclusive investigation into Buddhism and spiritual cultivation

Instincts...

Postby chownah » Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm

What's the Buddha got to say about instincts? Could the mastering of instincts be equivalent to attaining nibhanna?...could this be why animals can't attain nibhanna (because they seemingly have no realization that instincts program alot of their behavior and so can not figure a way to eliminate that programming)?....could could could.....??????....I don't know...do you?
chownah
chownah

Re: Instincts...

Postby Dan74 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Mastering the instincts is not nibbana, but it does help to have them under control! Lots of people master the instincts including the ascetics the Buddha studied with and left.

It seems especially hard in this day and age but I suspect this is due to our cultural conditioning.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby cooran » Wed May 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Hello chownah, all,

You may find these teachings by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu to be of assistance.

In this article, he mentions the Prison of Instincts:
The Prison of Life - (from a lecture given to foreign meditators on 10 February 2531 (1988) at Suan Mokkhabalarama.)
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha016.htm

Control Instinct ~ Buddhadasa Bhikkhu
http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/co ... tinct.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Goofaholix » Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm

chownah wrote:What's the Buddha got to say about instincts? Could the mastering of instincts be equivalent to attaining nibhanna?...could this be why animals can't attain nibhanna (because they seemingly have no realization that instincts program alot of their behavior and so can not figure a way to eliminate that programming)?....could could could.....??????....I don't know...do you?
chownah

I would say you'd want to be mastering Intention.

Whether that intention arises out of instinct or something else noticing intention is where you have the opportunity to change the outcome.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 am

Greetings Chownah,

Are you familiar with the Pali term anusaya?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu May 06, 2010 5:29 am

AN 7.11 PTS: A iv 9
Anusaya Sutta: Obsessions (1)
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu

"Monks, there are these seven obsessions. [1] Which seven?

"(1) The obsession of sensual passion.

"(2) The obsession of resistance.

"(3) The obsession of views.

"(4) The obsession of uncertainty.

"(5) The obsession of conceit.

"(6) The obsession of passion for becoming.

"(7) The obsession of ignorance.

"These are the seven obsessions."

Note
1.This term — anusaya — is usually translated as "underlying tendency" or "latent tendency." These translations are based on the etymology of the term, which literally means, "to lie down with." However, in actual usage, the related verb (anuseti) means to be obsessed with something, for one's thoughts to return and "lie down with it" over and over again.
See also: AN 7.12
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby chownah » Fri May 07, 2010 3:16 pm

My first take on "anusaya" was that it is not the same thing as "instinct"....but after a bit of thought it seems to me that while it is not what is ordinarily thought of as instinct it can be viewed as being a cluster of instincts not usually recognized in western thought....I guess.
chownah
chownah

Return to Open Dhamma