the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
acinteyyo

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by acinteyyo »

notself wrote:As I said in that thread, to discuss rebirth without discussing what is reborn is a futile exercise.
Ah, okay I now understood your intentions. But I have to say I disagree with what you say here.
In my eyes it's a futile exercise to discuss rebirth with discussing what is reborn. Such a question must not be accepted. As long one accepts such a question, even if one's intention is, to disclose the problems of thinking in terms of self and speculating what is reborn, it will be confusing. One has to put it straight, that such a question is inappropriate and has to be dismissed. This gets straight to the root of the problem and shakes to the core of self-view, which enables one to realize insight into the truth of anatta, avoiding wild speculations which would only lead to more and more confusion.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Aloka,
Aloka wrote:Any views relating to rebirth are always going to be conceptual speculation (other than in a verifiable sense relating to the changes in our day to day lives) - and for me personally they aren't relevant to the practice in the here and now.
That's how I see it too. I'll take the Buddha at his word (since the rest of his words are so good) but whether or not it's the case, my beliefs about it will not change what will be. Knowing a little about your previous adventures in Buddhism, it must be a relief of sorts for you not to be so heavily invested in the notion of rebirth. I hope it is like a breath of fresh air (much like your avatar).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Seems to me the problem is very simple. We spend a lot of time trying to eradicate self-view with the very process that is involved in "I-creation" in the first place--the functional creation of the skhandas that holds it all together. Which only reinforces self-view, which makes it impossible to "see" rebirth process, etc.

Which is why, I think, Buddha advised us to set it aside and gave us instead other things to work on, such as the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path. While we work on this course we hopefully develop the insight and clarity as a byproduct. There's no Ninth Path which says "drive yourself crazy trying to figure out self view and rebirth." I think there used to be but the Second Council removed it by Ashoka's command. :tongue:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Aloka,
Aloka wrote:Any views relating to rebirth are always going to be conceptual speculation (other than in a verifiable sense relating to the changes in our day to day lives) - and for me personally they aren't relevant to the practice in the here and now.
That's how I see it too. I'll take the Buddha at his word (since the rest of his words are so good) but whether or not it's the case, my beliefs about it will not change what will be. Knowing a little about your previous adventures in Buddhism, it must be a relief of sorts for you not to be so heavily invested in the notion of rebirth. I hope it is like a breath of fresh air (much like your avatar).

Metta,
Retro. :)

Retro my friend, its such a relief and the air is so fresh its as if I've been reborn ! :twothumbsup:

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I know the feeling Aloka.. :thumbsup:
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

Aloka wrote:Any views relating to rebirth are always going to be conceptual speculation...
Are they?

I think this can hardly be called speculation neither can this or this or this or this...

Cheers, Thomas
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Are you suggesting that this constitutes 'proof' of reincarnation or rebirth? It looks very speculative to me. There are many possible explanations for this kind of material.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Shonin wrote:Are you suggesting that this constitutes 'proof' of reincarnation or rebirth? It looks very speculative to me. There are many possible explanations for this kind of material.
Most of which explanation, following Ockhams Razor, are much more feasible than folkloric anectodotal accounts of "Reincarnation".
Shonin

Post by Shonin »

Yes, it's a similar sort of level of evidence that we have for alien abduction, the Loch Ness Monster etc
nathan

Post by nathan »

I see 'the great rebirth debate' thread more often than not on the home page listed with the others that have the most recent post. It is a long thread which could potentially give casual readers of forums like these the impression that the subject is of paramount interest or importance to people.

I'll state up front that I haven't read much of the thread because the subject generally fails to hold my interest and attention. It is an interesting subject in itself but what everyone actually knows about it is so little that it doesn't take much time at all to exhaust my interest.

I can approach the subject in another way. If I ask myself the question, "Would the verifiable existence or non-existence of re-birth (in any sense or by any definition of a multi-lifetime series of related processes) have an impact on my interest in the Buddha's teachings on the whole and if so what would that be?"

In overall terms, no. It would really make no difference to my interest in the Buddha's teachings and the ways in which I apply these to my life if rebirth were somehow demonstrably and repeatedly proved to be either true or false.

Similarly, the present state of affairs, wherein there is no demonstrable evidence one way or the other, a state of affairs where ignorance is the predominant feature, has no significant impact on either my interest in or understanding of the Buddha's teachings.

On the other hand the subject of ignorance, such as the ignorance which is the most obvious quality present in the body of available insight into this area, is itself something quite supportive of my interest in the Buddha's teachings. I very much like the Buddha's strong emphasis of the role of ignorance in all of our lives both as individuals and as members of the community of living beings in the world. His continued pointing out of ignorance, his calling our attention to the role it plays in our lives and thoughts seems to me to be one of the things that is very obviously wise about him.

As opposed to providing us with all kinds of comfortable explanations to placate us the Buddha frequently focuses our attention on things that screw with our comfort zones. Emphasizing subjects like suffering, desire and ignorance go directly to the parts of living and thinking that make it hard to get comfortable at all. Then we're supposed to sit quietly and work to achieve some kind of peace and freedom? Yes I think so, I think actually confronting some of the most difficult things in life and continuing to work at coming to terms with them do lead to an increasing breadth and depth of peace and freedom for me.

Dealing with the reality of being ignorant about a colossal amount of things, not just ignorance about less obvious things like rebirth but many, many things, has been and is a beneficial thing to do. Dealing with the desires that come from wanting to know the incalculable number of things that I don't know and the suffering that comes from not knowing those things has also been and is a beneficial thing to do. The Buddha's teachings have been great for working at these things in these kinds of ways. Not by providing some kind of pat answer to arguments over the veracity of some seemingly odd bit of one doctrine or another but by providing real ways of approaching the things that I actually do care about, things like ignorance, desires and suffering.

More than any other sources in my life the Buddha's teachings have helped and continue to assist me with both embracing and letting go of 'me' in a great many senses of the term, in the senses of it that I actually encounter it in my life, feelings and thoughts. I find the teachings about ignorance, desire and suffering, all together, very helpful in this way. I would continue to have this interest in and relationship with the Buddha's teachings regardless of what might be known or said about things like rebirth or other subjects, subjects which lend themselves to nurturing various kinds of sectarian argumentation by the taking up of contrary views. Typically, the more that a buddhist or dhamma subject lends itself to opposing views and arguments, the less significance it actually has in regards to my ongoing interest in the Buddha's teachings and how I make use of them in my life.

I could take another approach to what I have been saying, because none of it has been about rebirth, and start another thread. A subject that would actually be very central to my interest in the teachings and the way that I practice them, a subject like 'ignorance' for instance would probably never generate the kind of interest, investment and involvement that a controversial subject like this one continually draws. Probably a thousand pages could be posted on the subject of ignorance without exhausting the interesting things that could be said about the subject…

Ok, I talked myself into it. I'll start a thread on it. I'm curious to see how much interest the general subject of ignorance generates as opposed to the subject of rebirth. For me a subject like ignorance is central to how I understand and apply the teachings and practice. I am far more interested in the subject, have given it far more attention and am much more interested in what other people may think about it or understand about it.

link

the great ignorance debate
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4317
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

Shonin wrote:Are you suggesting that this constitutes 'proof' of reincarnation or rebirth? It looks very speculative to me. There are many possible explanations for this kind of material.
It is not "proof" for reincarnation ore rebirth, but I would say it is pretty strong evidence suggesting that reincarnation does take place. I am aware of all the alternative explanations and so are the researchers who have investigated this. Ian Stevenson, who was mentioned first, has in fact created a methodology to filter out those cases where alternative explanations are plausible.

Reincarnation research cannot really be compared with Nessie, UFOs, or alien abduction and lumping it together with these phenomena is not very reasonable. Reincarnation research and PLE (past live experiences) are in the same category like NDEs and OBEs, although the former are much rarer. These phenomena do occur and they are currently not explainable by science.
PeterB wrote:Most of which explanation, following Ockhams Razor, are much more feasible than folkloric anectodotal accounts of "Reincarnation".
Perhaps you need to reread Occam's Razor. The principle of Occam's razor says entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, which means: given a number of alternative explanations, it is rational to assume the simplest one. The simplest explanation for these cases is reincarnation. The alternative explanation is conspiracy of the researchers with their subjects to fakes such cases, elaborate and cunning preparation, lengthy and costly acquisition of minute detail information, and complicity without gaps.

Cheers, Thomas
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Pannapetar wrote:
It is not "proof" for reincarnation ore rebirth, but I would say it is pretty strong evidence suggesting that reincarnation does take place. I am aware of all the alternative explanations and so are the researchers who have investigated this. Ian Stevenson, who was mentioned first, has in fact created a methodology to filter out those cases where alternative explanations are plausible.

Reincarnation research cannot really be compared with Nessie, UFOs, or alien abduction and lumping it together with these phenomena is not very reasonable. Reincarnation research and PLE (past live experiences) are in the same category like NDEs and OBEs, although the former are much rarer. These phenomena do occur and they are currently not explainable by science.
PeterB wrote:Most of which explanation, following Ockhams Razor, are much more feasible than folkloric anectodotal accounts of "Reincarnation".
Perhaps you need to reread Occam's Razor. The principle of Occam's razor says entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, which means: given a number of alternative explanations, it is rational to assume the simplest one. The simplest explanation for these cases is reincarnation. The alternative explanation is conspiracy of the researchers with their subjects to fakes such cases, elaborate and cunning preparation, lengthy and costly acquisition of minute detail information, and complicity without gaps.

Cheers, Thomas
Utter nonsense. :rofl:
nathan

Post by nathan »

Simply put, evidence, be it personal experience or case studies of various kinds is relatively negligible when you contrast it with the overwhelming predominance of ignorance in regard to the subject. I'm not arguing that there is no evidence or that there are no people with compelling personal insights into the subject, I'm simply pointing out that ignorance about it one way or the other is by far the most common evidence. In other words it is the evidence of a prevailing ignorance that is compelling. The widespread and common presence of ignorance is a more significant aspect of this kind of debate that I think is obscured by arguing the relatively insignificant evidence of anything else that might be demonstrated by anecdotal evidence about rebirth.

I say this because the general circumstances reflect my individual circumstances. While I have occasionally had insights into rebirth as something that plays a role in my actual life in general I am completely ignorant of the effects that past lives might be having on my life at present. So this leads me to conclude that the important thing to be aware of is not past lives or future life but the ignorance that exists in the present life.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Quite so Nathan. I have seen lots of rebirth threads in several forae. They all follow the same course.
The discussion or rather the arguement becomes the point....dodgy science is contrasted to literalist quotes from the Canon.
Lots of heat is generated, but little light.
People argue against their own pov on other threads because of the exitement of the chase.
People storm off...only to come back armed with a new folio of speculative opinions.

And NOTHING gets resolved. Eventually the thread is closed. Only to be reborn a few weeks later.. :smile:
Pannapetar

Post by Pannapetar »

PeterB wrote:Utter nonsense. :rofl:
This type of answer is basically a rejection of debate, which I must accept. It is the perfect mirror image of superstitious animism which is common in many Buddhist countries. Both points of view are basically impenetrable to reason.
nathan wrote:I'm not arguing that there is no evidence or that there are no people with compelling personal insights into the subject, I'm simply pointing out that ignorance about it one way or the other is by far the most common evidence.
Yes, we get the point. There are limits to what we can know. However, you must acknowledge that these limits can be pushed. Furthermore, there are collective ways of pushing such limits (i.e. science) and individual ways (e.g. dhamma practice). Ultimately, dhamma practice is meant to reduce ignorance.

Contrary to PeterB, I believe that debate does not merely exist for the purpose of crosstalk, but that it DOES have the capacity to provide new insights, fresh points of views, and new impulses, if only occasionally, for the simple reason that our collective experience and intelligence is greater than our individual experience and intelligence. But one has to be open-minded for that.

Cheers, Thomas